What are some tips for language learning?

8

I love to learn languages and often do so by teaching myself. I can speak English and German proficiently, followed by Spanish decently well, and basic sentences in Turkish, Italian, and Russian. What are some tips on learning foreign languages and becoming more fluent? #language #german #spanish #foreign-languages #language-skills #languages

8

3

Great question. How did you learn the other languages you know? If you can, do more of that. Otherwise, most second language learning researchers say we learn languages through comprehensible input and interaction in a language. Comprehensible input means reading/viewing/listening that you can understand without struggle, either because it’s right around your level or because it has subtitles. That means tv shows with English subtitles (eventually switch to subtitles in the language you’re learning) children’s television, the news, children’s news/“cool science” sites, and short leveled readers (novels) for language learners. These can be found on Amazon— look for reviews that say the story was easy to follow for a language learner and that it has a glossary.

The second part, interaction, is also fun. If you can find a meet up in your area go to that. If not, there are lots of language exchange websites where you put up a profile and then people who want to learn your language can start interacting with you via chat or video.

If you’re detail oriented/like grammar, Duolingo is a free, video game like learning app/website for just about every language!

I imagine others will have other ideas—experiment and see what works for you! If you’re motivated (which it seems like you are!) you can do all the things I’ve mentionrd on your own and for free :)

Immersion in the country where the language is spoken allows you to pick up languages the quickest in my opinion. Taking part in foreign internships or an AuPair program could get you there. Otherwise reading books on a Kindle in the desired language. Kindle always gives you the option to translate or check out synonyms for a word you are not familiar with. Also you can check in meetup.com, if there are meetups in your area to meet with people speaking a certain language . Stephanie Derwojed Translate
3

Yasemin’s Answer

0
Hi Rachel!I speak both English and Turkish! I learned English because of being born and growing up in the U.S. I learned Turkish through my parents and my home life. I also took French in high school, and continued through Duolingo which I highly recommend. The lessons are great and you get to keep up with your learning through daily practice, plus it's free! If you want to upgrade there's a subscription I believe. I think the most important thing with keeping up in learning a new language is practicing; so practice through daily lessons, maybe reading material in that language- Duolingo has stories in the specified language you want which is very helpful- also find ways to interact with others in that language whether it be classmates or nearby friends and neighbors. Try to keep the conversation in the language you're learning! T.V. shows are great too there are so many in Turkish and Spanish and it's a great way to test your knowledge and expand your skills!

Yasemin recommends the following next steps:

• Check out Duolingo
0

Alejandra’s Answer

0

Hi Rachel, my advice will be to watch TV in the foreign language, maybe with subtitles at the beginning. Another recommendation will be to use Duoling App, I have use it and its really helpful with learning basic things, will help you to improve your speaking and grammar.

0

Roger’s Answer

0
The number one point to take into consideration is to define your motivation.
If you are learning a different and complex language it can take years to achieve a decent level, have a clear goal and motivation will be crucial in those moments.

Useful and fun Resources

- Language Exchange App https://www.tandem.net/
- Move into target country.
- Get boyfriend / girl that speaks the language.

Good Luck
0

Luisa’s Answer

0

Hi Rachel,

I like your question!

My recommendation is to SING! Yes, listen to a song in the language of your choice and repeat it. It’s a fun way to listen and accustom your ear as well as exercise the pronunciation.

I myself speak four languages fluently, Spanish, English, French and Portuguese, and it works!

Start with easy songs and work your way up. There are a lot of options in youtube and you can search for the lyrics to follow the exact words of the song.

Here is a link to an article that refers to this.

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/brain-remembers-language-sing/2776476.html

Best of luck with this, have fun and enjoy!

Luisa recommends the following next steps:

• Look for songs in the language of your choice in youtube, download the lyrics and start singing and having fun while you learn and practice!
0

0
Wow! You have an impressive knowledge of many languages. My best advice for language learning is to speak that language every day. Find friends that speak Spanish. Watch movies and read books in Spanish.
0

Liam’s Answer

0

Hi Rachel,

• Perhaps you could do a language exchange? For example you could find somebody in your workplace/university that speaks the language you're interested in and you could teach each other :)

• Another tip would be to find a book you love and read it in a foreign language. This can be a great way as it gives you the opportunity to look up words you don't understand

• Watching a TV series/movie in a foreign language can also be a fun way to learn new languages. Just listening to the dialect you will pick up some common words and phrases.

Best of luck! :)

0