How can I help a student to love learning?

Updated Miramar, Florida

As an Education major, I've realize that many students deal with many issues and sometimes don't take priority in their own education. From dealing with family issues to mental issues, I understand that one of my main jobs is to make sure that students passes the class that I teach, but I want to more than get a student in and out of my classroom. I want students to see learning as a way to enhance their mindset, I want students to see the classroom as a way to express themselves, and I want students to see a better education as an option for a way to escape the dark side of reality. But, how? #education #student-development #teaching

Stephanie’s Answer

Updated Los Angeles, California

Hi Amelia,

I agree with Bryant - what a wonderful, thoughtful question. There are many ways you can do this and it starts with you loving learning. I always wanted to be a teacher and I hope that enthusiasm has always shown through. I was a special ed and elementary teacher. Now I train teachers and while it might not be the focus of training, helping students to love learning is always the key within my training. To love learning can mean many things. We must first model that love of learning when we teach - we must be excited about whatever the lesson might be. We have to know our students so that we plan lessons that will be engaging. If a student is engaged - I think that's a sign of love of learning - then they will achieve success. I recently found this article that speaks to the connection of engagement and achievement: Using Positive Student Engagement to Increase Student Achievement -  https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED497205.pdf

I follow and use the research of Dr. Robert Marzano and suggest you read the following from him: Tips From Dr. Marzano: The Highly Engaged Classroom

https://www.marzanoresearch.com/resources/tips/hec_tips_archive

Lastly, I like to use surveys to get to know my students and their interests. Then you can make sure lessons are engaging as they align with student likes; I can stock the classroom library with books on topics they find interesting; I can plan activities around ideas they've shown interest in. Check out this website for lots of ideas on surveys: http://www.educationworld.com/a_curr/back-to-school-student-survey-questionnaire.shtml

Take care and good luck,

Stephanie

Bryant’s Answer

Updated Menlo Park, California

Hello Amelia,

What a great and challenging question. As a high school history teacher I always strived to achieve just that: I don’t need my students to love every topic we are learning about, but I do want them to feel empowered to challenge themselves and to love to strive for success.

My personal goal was that every single one of my students felt that they had a valued place in my class; that each student was essential to Mr. Gomer’s World History community. I think a word that stood out for me was “comfortable”. So many of my students had rarely ever felt comfortable in a classroom setting or a learning environment; felt comfortable in knowing that their learning was valued and that it mattered. So though I knew that not every student was going to ace every test, I strove to make sure that my classroom was a comfortable place to learn.

Once a a student feels valued as an individual and is comfortable to learn, that’s when I feel the real magic of Education starts to happen. It’s not a snap your fingers process. It takes time, relationship building, and earning your students trust; but if you can do that, you have set up your students to succeed for many years to come.

Best,

Bryant

Bryant recommends the following next steps:

• Take time (seconds) each class to check in with every single student