What is the best type of volunteer work that colleges look for?

7

Do colleges look for your volunteer hours? If so what kind do they value most? I have been apart of a math internship where I help Algebra 1 kids with their homework and I am apart of the National Honor Society. Would colleges look at that to consider my eligibility?

#math #college #volunteering #volunteer-leadership

7

Leahanne’s Answer

2

Volunteering is a way to give back to the community. The way the to have the biggest impact or value is to contribute what you're good at, what your skills and talents are, applied to an area you care about. Everyone has that in them, you need to find what it is for you. That's what resonates with colleges and with employers (current or future). Are you applying your talents to areas of the world you care about, and are you generous in spirit such that you're willing to share your time and talents for free? If it's something you are good at and care about, you will always be willing to work for free. People tend to become stingy with their time when they're working outside their skills or applying those to something they don't feel a strong connection to. The story the college will care about is "I applied X skill to Y industry, because..." " I learned these additional things, or I learned this about myself in the process." Good luck and have fun!

Leahanne recommends the following next steps:

• Know your skills and talents.
  • Determine industries you most care about.
  • Find ways to contribute, paid or volunteer.
  • Reflect on the experience. How did you learn and grow? Share that with the college.
2

Frank’s Answer

0
Hannah S.
Student
Bemidji, Minnesota
2 Questions
Jan 16, 2018
·
Viewed 466 times

#math #college #volunteering #volunteer-leadership.

Check with your College or Uni Course Coordinator to find out what the current Course requirements are for volunteering experience on your course. Usually Volunteers are required to keep an up to-date log book with evidence report of the activities involved. Probably there is a set number of hours of volunteering required as well. Tuesday, 31/03/2020. 20:17 Eastern European Summer Time. Frank Oldfield TESOL Teacher.
0

Wayne’s Answer

0
Hannah, Jenna is correct in stating that volunteer work should be passion driven rather than a check the box activity. I was in the NHS in High School but did not hold any leadership role. Colleges are looking for applicants that have initiative, drive and leadership characteristics. It has been my experience that having association with an organization is not nearly as important as what you did within it. Use your time in High School to explore opportunities to lead or work on something you are interested or passionate about. Volunteering is only one way to display drive and initiative, but what you actually do is more important. Your internship (I am assuming it is a typical internship where you get some sort of pay) demonstrates your ability to teach and your desire to help less fortunate individuals succeed. Use those type examples on your application instead of looking for some activity just to have something that looks good on paper. I wish you the best in whatever you choose.
0

Ninos’s Answer

0

I believe any and all volunteer work reflects nicely on your college application.  Try to choose non-profits/groups that closely align with your academic interests.  More importantly, volunteer for something that excites you.  No sense in beefing up your college application if the work makes you miserable.

Here's an interesting article for you to check out.  Enjoy and good luck! https://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/articles/2012/04/04/why-helping-others-makes-us-happy

Hi Hannah, volunteer work would definitely make you stand out to colleges! I would reach out to your school resource center or any academic advisor that can provide you with groups that may already exist in your community. The great thing about volunteering is it can be flexible to your schedule. local animal and people shelters are a great place to start as they usually have volunteer programs established and try and do next steps that Leahanne suggested so you can provide insight on your application on what you learned from the experience. If you currently help with tutoring share insights on that too on how you grew from it. Lindsey Farrell Translate
0

Jenna’s Answer

0
Some colleges do require volunteering for graduation, but I don't think they can require volunteer hours to apply. If you are volunteering, do it because you want to do something good and make a difference, not because you think a college would like it. The national honor society is great and tutoring kids is too, but an internship isn't usually the same thing as volunteering. If you have an interest in a cause, be it math, education, children, etc., contact an organization that has a focus on those interests and see what kind of help they need. If you mention that on your college application, that's fine, but you will grow more and learn more as a person if you volunteer to further yourself and the cause that you support.
0

jesse’s Answer

0

Helping needy family’s out - humanitarian - under privialeged youth alway sneed help - giving back to your community or a community in need.

0