Is it worth it to have a perfect GPA?

Asked New York, New York

I am able to sustain perfect grades only when I am sacrificing all my time and patience. It is very exhausting. How can I make my GPA work for me?

#hard-work
#gpa
#depression

Sam’s Answer

Updated Houston, Texas
Hello Andrei, The answer really depends on your situation. For example, if you are able to pay for college on your own without scholarships then all you need is a B or better for your GPA and do internships/co-ops to gain work experience. You should have no problem finding a job once you graduate because, to companies, it's all about work experience. On the other hand, if you are dependant on scholarships or student loans to pay for college, then you are required to meet the minimum GPA requirements of the scholarship or student loan (among the other requirements). My advice is to avoid scholarships altogether because of the situation that you are in: you spend all of your time studying and trying to be "the best" and no time enjoying your life. For a lot of people, college is the best time of their life because there is so much to do and see and explore and participate in IF YOU HAVE THE TIME.

Rebecca’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

I would argue "no". Here's why:

1) Logistically, having a 4.0 means spending little to no time on things other than your academics (cooking, staying active and healthy, spending time with friends, joining extracurriculars, having a job). In this way, you limit the diversity of your resume and miss an opportunity to show your skills other than your academic ability.

2) Putting the pressure on yourself to achieve "perfection" will cause an excessive amount of stress, which will make it harder for you to focus and achieve that 4.0. It is a better use of your time and energy to get a 3.6 or even a 3.0 while enjoying your experience to the fullest.