Lilly M.’s Avatar

Lilly M.

61

2

Is extra schooling worth the degree?

I have wanted to be a pharmacist my whole life, but am worried about the length of pharmacy school. I want to be able to work and make money, but I also want a family. #pharmacy #family #college

I worked full-time and went to school full-time while married with 3 kids. While I might do it differently if I had it to do over, meaning I'd have dropped to part-time schooling and I missed some time with my family, I'd have to say that yes, it was worth it to pursue my dream of being one of the few in my family to get a college degree (I graduated at 40 years old). I'm sure other pharmacists have families, and you can too, if you don't already have one. You should go for your dream. If you don't, you'll wonder what if the rest of your life.
Last updated Mar 03 at 01:06 AM
Being pharmacist can give you versatile option as far as career path goes. If you work retail chain depending on the store you end up at and the volume you do you could have very hectic life whereas if you turn towards a inpatient or hospital setting you will have much more flexible schedule and also be able to take extended time off if you need it. There is also positions industry such as working for AbbVie or Baxter which is much more on a lighter work schedule as well. My suggestion would be to go equip yourself in pharmacy school with clinical, retail and/or industry knowledge (by working or externship) so by the time you graduate you exactly know where you want to end up.
Last updated Mar 03 at 01:05 AM

Hi Lilly, I answer this by saying absolutely! Today's job market is extremely competitive. Doors that opened for people with 4 year degrees years ago now typically require or prefer masters degrees. As technology advances, workers are expected to have basic skills in areas that were formerly considered "advanced" skills. This applies to all industries. Furthermore, I see many people that end up limiting their options due to not having advanced degrees or certifications.

What you do in your own life will serve as a very strong lesson for the family you want to have. For example, I have always told my own daughters higher education was not optional. But they knew this was not as much as a "rule" as it was my own wishes of them having happy lives full of choices. I led by example by furthering my education beyond a 4 year degree. As a result I believe I have positioned myself to have more options by "more open doors" for me to choose from.

It is not my place to tell you what to do but I will pose a question for you to maybe consider asking yourself. You stated you have dreamed about being a pharmacist your entire life... what would you tell your own child to do with a dream he or she has had their entire life?

Last updated Apr 28 at 03:44 AM