Can Journalism really be a "lead-way" major into publishing?

2

My counselor knows that I wanted to be a book editor as my final career. However instead of majoring in English, she told me to major in Journalism because English is more for Education? I just wanted to know if I should put English or Journalism or if it matters.

#journalism #english-literature #english

2

Edward’s Answer

0
If you want to be a book editor, then I would make sure you are immersed in books that people have written. You need to get the feel of that form, whereas journalism is usually a briefer format and more about quotidian issues. Books are longer, more involved, and have a totally different structure than journalistic pieces. So while journalism is excellent for honing your writing skills if you really want to be a book editor, then majoring in English will put you in that world more than majoring in journalism will. I hope this is helpful. -Ed
0

0

The short answer is yes, it can be. However, you need to make sure you focus all of your energy and experience on a route that leads directly into publishing. A major in journalism is certainly helpful but you can also major in communications, or pretty much anything. Publishing is more about your internships and experience. You also need to tier writing skills.

0