Intern/Work in Australia

19

I recently came from a study abroad experience in Australia. I fell in love with the city of Melbourne and would like to know what are some of the best approaches for getting employment in Australia as a computer scientist?

#australia #computer-science #programming

19

Hoko’s Answer

3

Volunteer as a computer programmer.

3

Anh’s Answer

2

Volunteer as a cs programer

2

Steven’s Answer

1

Sign Up for LinkedIn Premium $59.99 per month, build up your profile, and then send a little note in your requests to connect, not the inmail, but just a little personal professional note inside the LinkedIn request you send to each member/Recruiter/etc.. Use LinkedIn Search bar to look up "Company Name" + "Recruiter" try it with or without the location or "Job Title" Intern, for either example, looks like this PNC Bank Recruiter Australia (for example)

1

amanda’s Answer

0

first you have to speak to someone who has a knowledgeable experiences working in Australia preferably in the field you are looking to apply. it should be practical or fun i.e you should talk to the person in person not through the internet

0

Miguel’s Answer

0

hola peter lo primero que tienes que hacer es centrarte en lo que te gusta o lo que te apasione, despues ponte a buscar que necesidades tiene Melbourne con sus habitantes preguntales a las personas, haz encuestas plactica con ellos sobre que necesitan, y despues ponte a estudiar las posibles soluciones de ese hermoso y bello pais.

0

Leonel’s Answer

0
Hello, I have never been to Australia but in a general view to get a job in any country, I would say create a LinkedIn profile to make connections and stay active in your account like share any of your projects that you are working on. Second, I would say networking. For people like me, networking was and still one the most difficult thing to do if you are not extrovert. Go out and talk to as many people as you want/can and make connections. Those connections could potentially lead to a job eventually so don't lose contact with them.
0

Ayomide’s Answer

0

Build your resume to be superb and well updated, research about companies in Australia and ask advice and info from people who are already working as professionals on how you can go around things and get yourself a job since you’re new to the city

0

Kamil’s Answer

0

Sources: My own experience, steps provided below:

Kamil recommends the following next steps:

• Research companies that your are interested in (What they do? Are these companies involved in volunteering etc). If you can hold an interesting conversation with someone who works at that company you're in a good position. Being able to build a connection through talking about the area of work you are interested in comes across well and leaves a good impression.
  • Sign up for any events, for example I was able to land an internship for a job I am now the team lead for, by going to a career fair and meeting my first boss. I asked them about what he does day to day at work and mentioned I have been studying in my spare time after finishing my degree and that I had a passion for the work I wanted to do. He didn't take my resume because it's easy to throw out/lose. Instead take their business card and contact them to see if they have an opportunities or any ways to meet more people.
  • Before or even after you finish University, continue to study in your spare time and find something you are genuinely interested in. If you continue to connect with others during events I can't see there is a way you can't find a job in what you love. We spend 30-70% of our life at work so it's nice to find something you love doing.
  • Be critical to yourself, everyone has some area they can improve in, make a list and address which ones are the most important and work in those areas. If you have trouble meeting new people, learn about techniques to improve. Write up affirmations and read them out to yourself every morning. It is refreshing to see someone who continues to improve themselves and is willing to accept ways to improve themselves without being naive that they don't need to improve because of their ego.
  • Read many answers and make up your own list as everyone will offer different advice and will have different experience and things that has worked for them but not might not work for others.
Awesome thank you Madhuja Bhamare
0

Scott’s Answer

0
It's a global market place now and where ever u can plug a computer in, you can work. Geolocation isn't so important these days. Work hard however to develop your skills so employers feel they can trust you to work remote and get the job done.
0

Bashayer’s Answer

0

To learn the basics of critical thinking and how to think using logic you should also learn how to dream the problem and divide it into small problems and solve each of them separately You learn programming languages ​​and you should keep pace with each new

0

Ayomide’s Answer

0

make sure your profile is well updated and have everything included. Research about companies and always learn to ask advice from people who are already working in that field

0

Bena’s Answer

0

Bena recommends the following next steps:

• Research the companies
  • Be polite
  • Be prepared
  • Be organized
0

Melita’s Answer

0

Networking - find online resources, like “meetups” where other computer scientists will put together events. Attend the events, meet some great people, and find out about great opportunities that way.

Melita recommends the following next steps:

• Go to meetups app - find a great tech event in your area!
  • Work on your resume
  • Work on your portfolio of work
0

Ganesh’s Answer

0
Work on computer science skills, and seek out all the company's that you believe can be doing better, and work on your resume.
0

Ebrahim’s Answer

0

0

Craig’s Answer

0

Opportunity to travel and learn.

0

Ammar’s Answer

0

Because of the country's high regard for education, Australia has become an avenue for students from there and abroad when it comes to the higher degree of education. Australia also opens its door to several courses widely taken by a lot of students especially in the fields of Computer.

Whether you enrolled for a Bachelor’s or a Master’s degree in Computer Science, you want to be a top student and prove you constantly advance your computing skills. Regardless of your specialisation, Computer Science degrees are challenging, even if you are a super tech fanatic and passionate. Follow the following Tips will guide and help you for that:

1. Computer Science classes focus on practical skills

What do you learn in Computer Science programmes? Most IT courses are not all theory compared to courses from other types of degrees, like Sociology or Economics. Even if Computer Science and information technology degrees include theoretical classes, their approach is far more practical.

2. Studying the night before a deadline will NOT work

Try to get your assignments done well in advance of deadlines, ideally have them ready a week in advance. Otherwise, you’ll just get tired, your code won’t work, and you’ll fail the assignment.

Computer Science and IT is one of those areas where it is absolutely necessary to keep working throughout the semester because sometimes you’ll need to take a break to get some clarity as to why something isn’t working. 

3. Your course will not teach you everything

All Computer Science and IT courses rock. However, they won’t cover all the skills you might need in a job. For example, if you’re planning to go into software development, you might learn a considerable amount in a few languages, but you may need to go beyond that for work, learning more of a language, or learning a language from scratch! It might be a good idea to look for introductions to online programming languages, some of which are even offered for free, such as PythonMATLABJava, and much more.

4. Don’t be a lone wolf

Being able to work on your own and independently motivate yourself is great, and you’ll need that. But don’t forget that you’re not alone, and its’ highly unlikely you’ll be alone in the workplace as well. You’re likely to be in a team 

0

Belay’s Answer

0

Software development experience and giving tutors.

Thanks for your answer Belay! I'd love to encourage you to give some next solid steps for Peter so he knows what's the best way to achieve this. Do you have any experience yourself that you can share? Stories maybe about being a tutor? Best, Jordan Jordan Rivera COACH
0

Thomas’s Answer

0
Create some programs that relate to the industry you are applying for. Role based access control is a big deal for most companies. Look up three tier access. Most companies do not appreciate others viewing their sensitive data. If you can provide encapsulation from potential thieves this is a big plus. Also look into architectures that provide some sort of access security like restful api's. And lastly and most importantly- look for internships. This will likely seem the most difficult. So my advice is: get a good professional resume- that can pass an application tracking system. Then create a Linkedin, and finally take a deep breath and start applying. Make sure you have a version control repository like GitHub as well.

Rest Api:
https://blog.usejournal.com/easiest-backend-authentication-using-express-mongodb-and-postman-86997c945f18

Role based Access Control:
https://github.com/bradtraversy/nodekb

Hope this helps.
0

Sylvia’s Answer

0

There are a bunch of different ways to go back to Australia!

I would first suggest going back to your Study Abroad office to see if they are aware of any programs where you are able to go back abroad and Intern there.

Another resource would you be your College Career Office.

You can also search online for different programs that have internship opportunities there. Programs I know of are called CEA, ISA, Bunac - They help you will the basics of working in Australia, and AIESEC - this is a good one for volunteering or working abroad.

Lastly, in Australia there is a great work permit program where you're given a visa for a year to work. So you can also directly apply to companies out there as well.

Hope this helped!

0