How can I best prepare myself in my undergraduate years for medical school in the future?

Asked New Jersey, New Jersey

Ever since I was young, I always wanted to be a oediatrican. Now that I am in college, my dreams can start to become a reality and I want to know the best tips on how to be as successful and as prepared as I can be for medical school.

#medicine #medicalschool

Naiara’s Answer

Updated Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hi Alexa, I am glad to hear you want to become a doctor! I recommend that you try to be as involved as you can in college, participate in different activities, including volunteering. If able, try to volunteer in a health care related opportunity. Definitely do well on your classes and take all the required pre-medicine courses, so you are all set to apply to medical school. You will also have to take the MCAT, which is an admission test for medical schools. This will be during your junior year of college. There are many online and summer MCAT courses that help you in case you need extra help with the test. Otherwise, there are books available to help you study for this. Having a mentor is also very important. Look for alumni from your college who pursued a career in medicine, they may be able to coach you through the process :) Some schools can pair you with mentors as well. I wish you the best!