How can I be sure I'm choosing the right college?

There are so many options! I've applied to six colleges, but how do I know which one to choose? Aside from financial aid, what are some things I should be looking for? #college-applications #deciding #choosing-a-college

1

Glenn S.’s Answer

That is a very personal question that is hard to answer for someone. I start will making a list:
1. What do you want to major in?
2. Is the college good at that area?
3. How much personal attention do you need? Big or small class room and campus size question.
4. How much do i need to be will my current friends? Or can you start fresh and not worry about bringing your social circle.

For me, i wanted the best education I could get. I went to a school where I was the only one from my high school. I am glad i made the choices that I did. You have to live with your choices, so you have to decide what is important to you.

0

Col Sen’s Answer

Hello Brooke,

very nice question indeed. Well, we as a family are in the similar situation as one of my family member is seeking admission in MBA course in India. Based on Admission Test performance (e.g. GMAT/CAT/XAT/CMAT etc) we have options (from top 10 to mid ranking B schools in India) but final results are yet to come and they will come not in a day but in a span of two months. So the dilemma remains!

Coming back to your issue, decision making may not be all that critical if you make some analysis. To help you in this, please identify some of the parameters :like course of your choice, infrastructure/hostel, faculty, ranking of the college, ROI, city (distance/climate/cost of living), internship, scholarship, extra curricular etc (Must Have). Then decide the ranking of colleges on a graded index like scores given to each of the college on a scale of 1-10 for each parameter and then whichever college makes to the top in your assessment, pick up three to five colleges. Then reassess them again with other tough parameters (Desirable) like placement record, exposure to international opportunities, volunteering, medical facilities in the campus etc and I am sure you will get your answer.

Col Sen recommends the following next steps:

Make a Table (in Excel/Word) with Parameters in one of the columns, then write colleges on the row at the top. Allocate marks against each parameter for each of the colleges and then do the total marks achieved by the colleges. Then pick up top 5 and then redo it higher parameters like Desirables.

0