Alicia B.

61

2

How do you build your resume in college?

Building a resume is important in college. What kind of activities are employers looking for? #resume-building

1 comment Click to expand

Hi Alicia,

The most important part of resume building is finding the kind of things that ignite a passion in you and contribute towards the kind of career that you want. Worst thing you can do is see it as a tick box exercise, that said it is valuable to try as many things as you can while you have the space and time to do so - and to uncover any hidden passions you might not know about. Getting involved in clubs and societies is the most obvious one as is any sports or team games. Employers generally want to see that you can work well and contribute in a team setting as very few jobs today work as an island. Organizational skills are also desirable along with time management - if you can juggle volunteer activities with school work and keep your grades up this demonstrates that. If you have a clearer idea of what type of career or sector you want to work in its never too early to think about potential internship opportunities, or where these are not available have a look at the type of skills these jobs look for and see what activities you can participate in that show you capable.

Probably top of the list for resume building, but also largely invisible, is the skill of networking. Never be afraid of speaking to as many people as possible and showing an interest in what they are doing, how you can participate or solve their problems. This includes your group of friends as well as community leaders, employers etc. Increasingly the best jobs are ones which are not necessarily advertised but handed out through existing networks where you have proven your ability or shown an interest.

Good luck with your studies and resume building but most of all enjoy this time of your life.

Last updated Mar 21 at 05:42

You will need to focus on stress and time management. In order to manage stress you have to manage your time wisely. <span style="background-color: transparent;">You have to set a routine for yourself and stick to it for the most part. Once you get into the groove of a routine it will be much easier for you to manage your time and have enough time for everything you need to do (including relaxing). Make yourself to-do lists on a weekly basis, use Google calendar or a planner to keep track of events, deadlines, and due dates. In addition to setting a routine and sticking to it, plan out relaxing activities into your day. Or set aside a time, after everything is done for the day, that you can have "me" time. I have also personally found it essential to not only find time for myself but also make use of that time in a way that is best for me and my holistic wellness. I have found the HeadSpace app to be an essential tool in helping me relax and generally feel more relaxed throughout the day, Guided meditation, even if you have a busy schedule, will make you feel more at ease and relaxed throughout the day as a whole (not just when you have the time to relax and focus on that "me" time).</span>

<span style="background-color: transparent;">Set a routine.Use Google Calendar.Set aside Me TimeWrite weekly to-do lists and use a planner.Find a peaceful and restful activity that will help you feel relaxed.</span>

Last updated Apr 03 at 14:30

Schools Add a school