Technology and Performing Arts

2

My father has tried to tell me that the opportunities for Performing Arts majors (vocal - opera singer) are significantly reduced in this day of technology and that less people are going to live performance. I disagree, but maybe he has a point and there will be less opportunities than before. Thoughts? #opera #singing #performing-arts #technology

2

Tracy’s Answer

0

I WOuld disagree. The performing arts are as vibrant as ever. The way technology has impacted careers is that now; rather than competing with your peers for the roles (this is still a strong component) artists are creating their own work to showcase themselves. The real question is: is there anything else you can do and be happy? If you're immediate answer was an emphatic "no!" Then don't focus on whether or not it's viable. Focus on your passion. The only one you are beholden to in this life is yourself. Be practical but don't limit your dreams

0

Smaran’s Answer

0

Hi Elleyna,

There is a fact that technology is dominant when it comes to jobs or settle down soon and there are million of people who do jobs in technology. There are huge requirements in technical fields, but being in Arts is very hard you need a lot of dedication, yes there are many singers trying to breakthrough in the industry. Being a singer and trying to make it as a passion is great and yes riskier.

But the more the riskier your job becomes the more you tend to work hard. I would say go with your passion, do not listen to anyone else, convince your family/father that you can make it as a singer and you have to make it to prove yourself. You know, being in technology is lot easier compared to being in arts as I am from technical background yet love to be an painter/artist some day, in technology you have resources to help you and grow but being an artist you are your own resource, you have to be creative and distinctive now a days to be successful.

If you fail to become a successful singer independently, you can try again by start working in technology jobs and practice on your passion which many people do. People do regular jobs because you need to make a living first and then work on your passion more and more, but the downside is if you get a comfortable life because of your job, people tend to lose or forget their passion on the way, this you need to take care and do not lose the hope.

All the best!

0