What will I be expected to accomplish in my first year of an internship for a job of sport management?

Updated LaGrange, Georgia

I want to know if having a internship for a sports manager would be exactly what I read it would be #sports-management #sports #athletics #internship

Patrick’s Answer

It's going to depend specifically on what your internship is focused on. If it's an internship in athletics marketing, they may have you create collateral for distribution to prospects; if it's in athletics operations, you may learn the proper dimensions of the playing field of that sport and prep the field and surrounding area (stadium or arena for pro sports or park/bleachers for recreational activities. There's a number of different responsibilities depending on your department and each will have different expectations.

This professional recommends the following next steps:

• Speak with your supervisor (or future supervisor) and ask this specific question. They should have an exact answer for you and it'll give you a better idea of what you can learn from the experience as a whole.
  • Keep asking questions. In the sport industry, many executives have worked for multiple teams and it is a small world. Great sports leaders will take the time to help their interns/staff and make it easier for them to succeed long term including connected them to the next job.