What is the process of qualifying to teach subjects based on the Praxis Exam?

2

I was told by a fellow student that if I took the Praxis Exam in an area unrelated to my major, which is History Education, that I could be qualified in that area also. I am asking this because I was wondering if I could take the math portion of the test as well. If I then passed the math portion, would I be qualified to teach in math even if I did not major in math? I would like to explore this option if possible in case a history education position was not readily available. Aslo, if this is true, please explain to me how this process works.#education-policy #education #teacher #education #math #mathematics #praxis #exam #testing

2

john’s Answer

0

Although anyone CAN take any Praxis Exam, the primary purpose of Praxis Exams is to demonstrate mastery of your subject for the teacher certification process.

The Praxis Exam can help you land a job (or at least earn an interview) at a school which hires at least some teachers without certification. For example, I see you are from Roanoke Rapids -- there is a good charter school there (KIPP Gaston) which might well consider an unlicensed teacher who had earned an impressive Praxis School.

john recommends the following next steps:

• If your question is really "How do I get a teaching job without certification?" explore both charter schools and private schools.
  • Before you take a Praxis exam, make sure you purchase and use a study guide.
0