What kind of writing samples should I give when asked?

2

Most jobs in public relations ask for writing samples before the interview process. What kind of writing should I submit? Are there things the recruiters prefer to see?

#public-relations #writing #writing-samples

2

Robert (Rob)’s Answer

0

Emily -

In many cases, you'll be "assigned" something to take home after your interview and submit finished copy within a few business days. This is usually a mock news release announcing something fairly easy to digest - executive appointment, office move, award win, etc. The idea is to get a better understanding of your core competencies and your ability to synthesize new information under a deadline.

If you're simply asked to provide your own writing samples and you took classes in PR, look back to your coursework. Submit a variety of content types - news release, contributed article, blog post - to show off the scope of your abilities.

0

Meghna’s Answer

0
It depends on the company. Companies want to check how you write. Usually, the topic of the writing sample doesn't matter as much as content and writing style.

My advice would be to clarify with them if they are looking for something specific. Otherwise, you can check the kind of work the company does and bring a writing sample along those lines.
0