Carmen R.’s Avatar

Carmen R.

51

2

What are some different career choices for a future in mathematics or science?

I am really good at math and it is one of my favorite subjects in school, as well as science. The only one I can think of is an actuary, and that type of job seems like it would get boring after doing the same thing for years. #math #mathematics #actuary

This is a great question, one in which I actually questioned my college adviser right before officially changing my major to Mathematics. The answer that she had given to me was, "Anything". Great right? Yes - as it's reassuring that so many doors are open, but no in the sense that it's slightly overwhelming not to have a direct answer of what's next.

Some obvious answers that Mathematics degrees typically enter into is Teaching, Business - Finance or Accounting roles, Actuary work, or Statistical work. The truth is, Mathematics is so much more than what people think and realize. Every class that you take is more than numbers or solutions, it's about processing what's in front of you, questioning the task, analyzing what you know and problem solving many potential different scenario's. You become detail oriented, organized, and methodical, while also trying to determine the best course of action for the situation at hand. Mathematics gives you an understanding of figuring out different ways to think and process tasks, which is incredibly beneficial to you as well as many employers.

There is a book called "101 Careers in Mathematics" I suggest you read, which my adviser in college pointed me to read as well when I declared Mathematics as my major. This will give you an idea of the endless possibilities that Mathematics opens the doors to. I would recommend thinking what interests you and what excites you when you think about your career.

Last updated May 29 at 06:33 PM

You might want to check out the website BeAnActuary (http://beanactuary.org) #beanactuary. As an actuary you would be a business professional who evaluates risk which is often in an insurance company. However, instead there are nontraditional opportunities for actuaries because risk is so much a part of modern life. I work as a subject matter specialist at a very large accounting firm. We talk with management at many different organizations and help them solve problems. This gives me a view of many of the business challenges across different industries, not just concentrated on insurance products.

If you like what you see on the website you should know that you need to be a self starter as an actuary, so you can pass the exams required to get the credentials while you are also working in a business environment. But you don't have to go to school beyond an undergraduate degree to get these credentials.

This professional recommends the following next steps:

Last updated May 29 at 02:24 PM