How needed is IT within the State Department? Is there money out there for that?

Asked Austin, Texas

Austin’s Answer

Updated Washington, Washington

Hi Erin,

Really great question. Not only the State Department (DoS), but the entire federal government (USG) needs serious help with IT. DoS and USG often operate on outdated systems that frequently have outages that can be anywhere from a few hours to a few days (I speak from experience). Agencies within the USG often work off of outdated IT infrastructure and systems that are far from efficient and seriously hinder workforce productivity. It is due to this serious problem that every department and agency withing the federal government has a CIO office. The Chief Information Officer is responsible for all the IT systems and technology which enables the whole department to function properly. Without CIO, DoS would be unable to function as they would not be able to troubleshoot issues, maintain systems, and develop new offerings for the workforce.

There is definitely money to be part of the Department of State's CIO office and it can end up being a very stable career. You won't likely may 6 figures right out of college, but there is promotion potential , the salary is very comfortableand government benefits are definitely nice.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck!!

Best,

Austin