Do you have to study at a collage to be a video game designer

Updated Round Rock, Texas

I want to be a video game designer of my career in the future job, but I is BROKE so i don't know if you have to go to collage for video game designing . and how much do they pay yearly? #videogames #videogamedevelopment #collage #idon'tknowwhattodo #gaming #computer games #video-game-design

Sadie’s Answer

Hey Kristo!

I think this question and answer is applicable to almost any career: It's pretty rare that you absolutely have to go to college, especially with the information available online. However, it's also pretty rare that you will have a high-quality career if you don't start it with a high-quality education.

My advice would be to invest in your career! This is a lifetime decision you're making and it's worth some sacrifice in the beginning. You will thank yourself for your efforts later when you have an awesome game design career!

Zhanwu’s Answer

Updated Seattle, Washington

I have been working with game designers from several game studios, they are essentially programmers but working on building games.

It is never a requirement to have a college degree to be a programmer, but it is often difficult for you to get the proper training without a college training and takes more effort to land your first job.

Payment wise, it depends on the location, but in a city like Seattle, the starting salary for a game programmer can be around 80k/year.