Is volunteering really important for college applications?

2

Ken’s Answer

The most important aspect of volunteering is that you have the opportunity to see the inside view of how a business or organization works. This will help you to better understand what you might want in a career.

Take an interest and aptitude test at your school and talk to your counselor and others at your school to see what intern and volunteer and career exposure opportunities might be available.

Getting to know yourself and how your personality traits relate to people involved in various career opportunities is very important in your decision making process. During my many years in Human Resources and College Recruiting, I ran across too many students who had skipped this very important step and ended up in a job situation which for which they were not well suited. Selecting a career area is like buying a pair of shoes. First you have to be properly fitted for the correct size, and then you need to try on and walk in the various shoe options to determine which is fits the best and is most comfortable for you to wear. Following are some important steps which I developed during my career which have been helpful to many .

0

Samantha’s Answer

Some schools require you to have a certain amount of volunteer hours. It is always good to include on your resume because it shows that you are involved in your community and are willing to put in the time to give back to your community. Schools and even some jobs look for colunteering because it can help you decide what you plan on studying in college and what you want to do post graduation. Some jobs look for it especially if you have no work experience because it shows them that you have been held responsible with things and can be a reliable worker.

0