How do you network with people in the industry?

2
2

Michelle’s Answer

0

Hello, Natalie F. It's very good to see that you are interested in a career in the fashion industry. You want to know how to network. It sometimes comes very easy for some people but the more you network it will become second nature to you.

You should start networking with people in your school. Let people know you are interested in the fashion world. Start right where you are. Introduce yourself to people and see who shares your interests. Make a LinkedIn page. I've checked MeetUp.com and there are no groups in your area right now, but you could start one and or keep checking. I am not sure what grade you are in but see if your school offers anything related to fashion and take all the courses you can. You never know where like-minded people will be. It's a matter of talking with a lot of people you meet and you will know when it's right. I also am not sure what job you are interested in : modeling, designing, merchandising. But it is a good idea for you to just start where you are and do as much work on it to build up something to show.

Best wishes to you in your journey towards your career goals !

Michelle recommends the following next steps:

• Discover and utilize any and all of your school's resources.
  • Check MeetUp for any Style or Fashion groups that may begin in your area
  • Meet and talk with more people at school
  • Make a LinkedIn page
0

Megan’s Answer

0

Hey Natalie,

So.....networking with people in the industry down South is a little more difficult that in large established cities (my opinion). I'm orginally from GA but obtained my Fashion Degree in Nashville, TN. My situation may be completely different than yours because this was almost 11 years ago when Tennessee wasn't that populated and didn't have a lot of fashion events. What I did to network was research, research, research. I looked up other designers, merchandisers, fashion businesses, out of state companies, and other people that were interested in doing what I was doing. My first networking gig I ended up going to Atlanta, and working with designers and fashion production for Atlanta International Fashion Week. From there, I ended up meeting a man who did Nashville Fashion Week we ended up going to the same school and in the same class together. We kind of stayed in contact for a couple of years, but lost contact after I moved. I did a lot of fashion shows in my twenties, a lot of merchandising in my twenties, and a lot of travel with no pay. Hopefully now since things are little bit more established the south it will be easier for you. I would just research a lot of companies write to them all let them know what you're doing and what your plans are for the future and how you can be an asset or what type of networking you're trying to do with him. It would also be great if you found a networking group, people who are interested in the same things you are.

0