If I want to progress in a job involving communications, is it viable for me to stay in one location or state?

Updated Overland Park, Kansas

Susan E.’s Answer

Updated Westland, Michigan

It depends where the best and most opportunity is. If its in one location, its there. If it's in another state and you can afford to go there or at least live in that area, then that's where you will go. It all depends on what your goals are and what you are really looking for.

Isae’s Answer

Updated Oakland, California

Generally speaking, there are going to be more opportunities for career growth in major cities. For instance if you start in communications in New York City, you could easily progress stay in that city and progress in your job for your whole career!

If you live in a smaller city, it might be harder to progress beyond a certain point in your career because the opportunities are more limited. However, you could always get started in one place, get marketable experience, and then move on to a more challenging job in a larger city.

I'll give you an example: I got started in communications in a city with 100K people, acquired some very valuable experience for 3 years. I then moved to New York City where I used my earlier experience to get a job at a much bigger company which provided career growth opportunities.

Isae recommends the following next steps:

• Using LinkedIn.com, search for jobs in communications in the area where you want to live. How much choice is there?
  • If you find there aren't many jobs where you want to live, consider looking at other areas.