What high paying jobs could I get with a communications and media specialist degree?

Asked Udall, Kansas

Updated Washington

Layna,

Excellent question, but if you're a student, the answer is that you would likely start at a modest salary. In fact, this is not a field to enter if your goal is a high-paying job. You can certainly make a decent living if you're talented and work hard.

The highest-paying jobs in this field are either on-camera TV talent, or the execs running a media company. But in both of those cases, you'd be working at a "starter" salary for at least five, if not ten years or more.

This is something you do because it's "in your blood". For example, the reason I'm answering your question is because I enjoy communicating! Best of luck to you: the best piece of advice I can give is to set a goal for yourself and go for it. If you really want it, you'll get there!

John recommends the following next steps:

• Keep creating content: writing, photography, video - whatever you like to do.
  • Keep getting advice from people like me in the field. Email is one way, phone calls are good if if it's OK with the person you are contacting, and in-person is best.
  • Internships are great. Paid is of course the best option, but there aren't many of those.
  • Once you are "in the door", volunteer to do anything and everything within reason. You can't really volunteer to do what your internship supervisor gets paid to do, but you can volunteer to help them with some of their work they may often postpone, like organizing files and such.
  • Go back to the beginning of the list, and whichever item you pick, just do it!