Would internship experience be required prior to going out into the workforce?

Asked Teaneck, New Jersey

Wyn’s Answer

Good Morning Syed,

Some school programs require an internship prior to graduation. Whether or not your school does, an internship is generally a great idea. It gives you the opportunity to gain experience in one setting, in a field for which you are studying. This "real world experience" helps to shape your understanding of your chosen field, the environment in which you work, how to interact with employees and management, and much more. Check with your teachers or instructors about how to find an internship. Many are available with part time hours to accommodate a school schedule.

Angela’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

Hi Sayeed,

Particular majors may require you to complete a certain number of internships before graduation. I completed an internship during undergrad and was able to count that position as a elective, so it helped complete credits my major.

Even if it is not required, getting an internship as soon as possible will definitely help with your job search when you graduate. Not only will it give you experience to refer to during interviews, but it will give you connections in the industry and also let you understand what it would be like to have this position full time. I think internships are a great way for you see what it would be like to work in a particular industry and company. Good luck!