Skip to main content
18 answers
19
Updated 1634 views

Is going to college a scam?

I'm a 16 year old Junior in High School, and occasionally I think to myself whether I should go to college, or going to trade school or any other alternatives, ultimately avoiding college. Most people end up still paying their college loans 15 years or longer after entering the work force (depending on salary). Should I place myself in that predicament where I have to pay this debt so many years of my life? I'm still figuring out what I should do in my career, but right now I'm kind of lost with no trajectory in my future. I have a slight interest in tech, but if I can be successful in jobs like plumbing, HVAC, and other skilled trades, what should I do? Please guide me.

Thank you comment icon So college is not a scam. However, debt from student loans can be very overwhelming. I highly suggest accepting as little of the loan as possible. If possible don't accept loans at all. Student loans have compounding interest, (they amout owed grows rapidly), and can not be gotten rid of with bankruptcy. My College degree has opened many doors for me that a high school diploma alone couldn't have. I do not regret having thigher education. Hope Bailey

19

18 answers


2
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Paul’s Answer

Hi Liam:

I never saw college as being a scam. Matter of fact I strongly advocate for the benefits of going to college, and tell everyone that "Yes, going to college is worth it." Here are some key benefits of higher education to consider:

• Technical and Academic Training: College provides the essential technical and academic instruction required for professional growth. Without it, individuals risk missing the foundational training needed to advance later in life. Especially with the current advances in Artificial Intelligence technology.

• A Training Ground for Real Life: I view the campus environment as a "microcosm of what we will encounter in real life." Learning to navigate campus services—such as utilizing libraries for research, financial aid offices for budgeting, and registration for goal setting—serves as essential preparation for achieving long-term career goals.

• Social and Professional Development: For students, including student-athletes, college provides rich opportunities for social growth, leadership, teamwork, and networking.

• Career Enhancement and Job Placement: High-paying post-grad employment is a major benefit for those who leverage college networks, use the campus career center, participate in internships, and build professional references.

• Pathway for Personal Exploration: Taking introductory courses across humanities, math, and sciences is highly beneficial for helping undecided students learn about themselves, discover what they love, and map out a matching career path.

I hope some of these have been helpful for you. Best wishes in achieving your future goals.
2
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Cynthia’s Answer

Emily,

No college is definitely not a scam. I went back to finish my degree at 35. Finished at 40. I was married with three kids. I went back to get my masters at 48 and finished at 51. I completed it working part-time with 3 kids and a husband . It has been very beneficial for me in my career goals and financially. It did not take long for me to get a job after graduating. I am doing what I majored in, information tech and cyber security. So no it has never been a scam to me.

If I had not of gotten my degrees I would have never got the opportunities to pursue a career in Info Technology. Go for it. Just make sure do something you love do and research type of jobs and salary ranges .
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Tony’s Answer

College can be quite expensive, but it's important to consider it as an investment rather than a scam. Evaluate the costs against the benefits you can gain from a college degree. College offers many opportunities such as networking, experience, internships, education, and resources. What you gain from college depends on your effort and involvement. The value of college goes beyond just earning a degree and standard education. Personally, I have gained a lot from the resources college provided, which I wouldn't have achieved otherwise, making it worthwhile for me.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Warren’s Answer

Take some time to figure out what truly interests you for a career. I always advise doing what you love, and the money will follow. If you only focus on money, you might end up unhappy. This is especially important when considering college because it costs a lot, so you want to make sure your investment is worthwhile.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Jamie’s Answer

I don't think it's a scam at all. Going to a local junior or community college can be a great way to learn new things and start building your professional network. It really depends on what you want to do for your career. If you want to be a lawyer, you'll need to go to college. But if you're interested in a trade like becoming an electrician, a trade school might be the better choice.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Emily’s Answer

This is a great question, especially today when some people worry that further education might not lead to a job. It's important to ask yourself some key questions: What do you really enjoy? What are your strengths? What do you hope to achieve in the next 10 years? Try to choose a path that combines your interests and strengths and leads you toward your goals. With these thoughts in mind, you'll have a clearer idea when making important decisions. There are many options out there so be curious, and you can find one that fits you well.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Marie’s Answer

College can be a good choice, but it's important to think about the debt from student loans. A university degree can lead to better job opportunities, but it's not a sure thing. Many people have good jobs without a degree.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Cassie’s Answer

Hi Liam,

I can understand where your head is at and why you're torn right now. College is something that needs to be a well-thought-out decision, not a default (in my opinion). I believe one of the best parts of college is the network and community you gain on campus, in addition to the knowledge you gain in the classroom. A lot of folks are indeed paying for student loans years later (myself included), but I don't regret taking out the loans one bit. If I hadn't gone to college, I wouldn't have the perspective and opportunities I have today. I found my first job after graduation from a college career fair. It can help you not only figure out what you want to do for a career, but also what you don't want to do.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Gira’s Answer

Hi Liam!

I completely understand your hesitation about whether or not college is worth the payout because I had the same thoughts at 16. I would love to encourage you to reframe the mindset that university automatically means taking on debt. No one's path is the same or linear and we shouldn't look at other's choices as an example we always need to follow, such as taking on debt. I sure didn't accept the four-year university timeline nor taking on debt as my reality.

My educational path wasn't like everyone else's. It took me 7 years to finish my undergraduate degree in marketing and sales because I worked full-time between juggling 2-3 different part-time jobs throughout the whole time to help me save up money for classes. I was able to afford paying out of pocket per semester for sometimes 1 or other times 4 classes. I started at a community college before I transferred to a university, which helped to lower costs as well. I also applied for scholarships and grants and financial aid through the university. There are so many opportunities for applying for scholarships and grants (free money), whether they're financial need-based or scholastic achievement awards. I only took the classes I was able to afford and never took on any loans to pay for classes, which is why it took me longer to graduate, but so worth getting a degree with no debt tied to it!

My college experience taught me so much to be successful in a full-time career in a corporate because I learned time management skills, effective communication, importance of networking with professionals, and it gave me the opportunity to gain real world experience in business-to-business sales through internships. All of this ultimately landed me where I am today at a corporate technology company with the ability to navigate any new chapter with resilience and adaptability. Even though it wasn't a traditional nor easy route, it was so worth it!

I truly believe that going to college is not a scam because the one thing that no one can ever take away from you is your knowledge. Continue being curious and wanting to learn more every day! Find mentors, ask questions, and do research on what truly interests you and aligns with your values. Find out what truly matters to you, aka your values, that will make working in a specific career path feel fulfilling to you.

You've got this, Liam!

Some things you can start doing now to help navigate the uncertainty and unknown of what's next;

Gira recommends the following next steps:

Write down your top 10 values and research what career paths would align with those values.
Write down at least 5 career paths of interests and research if they require degrees or trade school.
Reach out to a trusted teacher or counselor and express your areas of interest and ask them for help on determining best routes to do deeper research on best next steps
Ask a teacher/counselor to mentor you or to recommend a mentor based off your interests
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Sijoy’s Answer

Hi Liam,
I understand your concern and I get why you are worried, lots of students wonder if college is worth it or if other paths like trade school might be better. College isn't a scam, but it's not the only way to succeed. It all depends on your goals and what kind of life you want.

College can lead to jobs in tech, healthcare, business, and engineering, but it can be expensive. Trade schools and certifications in areas like plumbing or electrical work can also lead to great jobs with less debt. Skilled trades are in high demand, and many people have successful careers this way.

Since you are interested in tech, consider both options:

1. College: Majors like computer science or engineering can lead to jobs in software or cybersecurity.

Alternatives: Certifications in coding or networking can get you tech jobs without needing a full degree.

2. Trades: Jobs like HVAC or plumbing offer hands-on work and good job security, with the chance to start your own business.

Think about what excites you. Do you like working with your hands, or do you want to build tech solutions? Both paths can lead to success.

My Personal Advice: Take your time. Shadow professionals, talk to mentors, and try short courses or internships to see what fits. Success comes from your effort to learn and grow, not just from going to college.

You are only 16, and it's okay to be unsure. Exploring your options is the right move.

Wishing you clarity and confidence as you decide what's next. All the Best.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Karla’s Answer

No—college isn't a scam, but college as a default decision can be a bad investment. At 16, you actually have a major advantage: you have time to explore before committing to either a degree or a trade.

The biggest mistake would be thinking the choice is:

College = success
Trade school = failure
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Philip’s Answer

Higher Education and self-improvement are VERY IMPORTANT, but you do not need to go to college/university to obtain that education.

The idea (that going to college and getting a 4yr degree will automatically make you happy and rich) is a scam. This was sold to me when I was in high school and that I figured out after one semester in college that it was not for me. I work in Nuclear and I do not have a degree from a university. My education in Nuclear Engineering Technologies was provided by the Navy. This education was free, but I did serve 6years in the Navy.

I believe it is more important to figure out what you want to do with your life and then use College, Trade Schools, and Apprenticeships to obtain your goals. I for one probably would have finished college if my local college offered a "Nuclear Engineering" program.

If you are interested in HVAC/Electrical/Plumbing or TECH Field, then I would check out any local trade schools for certificate / Associate programs. I would then recommend getting an apprenticeship/job in one of those fields to see how you like it and get some experience. There are a lot of industrial, data center, manufacturing facilities that are looking for experienced HVAC techs. Some of the best HVAC people I worked with were not in the nuclear field but in residential HVAC. I worked with a guy installing residential Geothermal Systems and he had a HVAC Certificate (No Degree) but he had the best understanding of real-world Thermodynamics and heat transfer that I have ever seen (The company paid him A LOT to keep him around).

In summary, I would say college is not a scam, but it could be a waste of money if you don't have a plan before you enroll.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Martin’s Answer

No, I don't think college is a scam. But I do think some people are pushed into college without really knowing why they're going, and that's where problems can start.

You're only 16, and honestly, it's completely normal to not have your future figured out yet. Most people don't.

The way I look at it is this: college is a tool, not a requirement. For some careers like engineering, medicine, accounting, teaching, or law, a degree is almost essential. For others, especially skilled trades, it may not make as much sense financially.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with looking at trades like plumbing, HVAC, electrical work, or other skilled professions. Those jobs are in demand, pay well, can't easily be outsourced, and often let people earn money much sooner than someone spending four years in college.

Since you have some interest in technology, I'd also suggest exploring that more before making any decisions. There are a lot of paths in tech, some requiring degrees and some focusing more on skills, certifications, and experience.

My advice would be not to rush into college just because everyone else is doing it, but also don't write it off completely. Spend the next couple of years learning about different careers, talking to people in those jobs, and figuring out what kind of life and work you want.

At 16, being unsure isn't a problem. The goal right now isn't to have all the answers. It's to stay curious, keep exploring, and make an informed decision when the time comes.

Whatever path you choose, whether it's college, trade school, tech, or something else, your success will probably depend more on your work ethic, willingness to learn, and consistency than on the specific path itself.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Yoav’s Answer

Hi. It's completely normal to feel overwhelmed when thinking about your future, especially when you are looking at the massive price tag and student debt that often comes with a four-year degree. College definitely isn’t a scam, but it’s also not the only path to a successful and fulfilling life, so it’s really smart of you to weigh your options now as a high school junior. Skilled trades like plumbing and HVAC are fantastic careers that let you earn money while you learn through apprenticeships, leaving you with zero student debt and a skill set that will always be in demand. Since you also have an interest in tech, keep in mind that many IT and coding roles value hands-on certifications, bootcamps, or associate degrees just as much as a standard university degree. You don't have to have your whole life mapped out today, so take some time to explore both trade programs and short-term tech courses to see what genuinely excites you. You’re already asking the right questions and thinking critically about your financial future, which puts you way ahead of the game, so trust yourself and good luck as you explore your next steps.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Rebecca’s Answer

Thank you for your question. Firstly, it really depends on the careers you have interest. Some professional careers like medical, accounting, engineering, etc. it requires a college degree indeed. Alternatively, there are careers like hair styling, cosmetics, culinary, etc., it might be better to attend training in vocation schools.
Below are my suggestions :
1. Think about what you have interest, e.g. your hobbies, favourite subjects, etc. and determine what you have interest
e.g. If you like music, would you like to be a musician, singer, musical artist, music producer, music composer, etc.
If you have interest in maths, would you like to an accountant, engineer, financial analyst, banker, maths teacher, etc.
2. Find out more on these careers and determine what you have interest
3. Speak to someone who are working in these careers. Seek guidance from your mentor, school career counsellor, your parents, etc.
4. Shortlist 1-2 careers you would like to pursue
5. Determine the qualification requirement of the career and find the entry criteria
In terms of financial arrangement, you can explore any scholarship available, part time job or discuss with your parents, etc.
Hope this helps! Good Luck!
May Almighty God bless you!
Thank you comment icon Very good answer, I will add that you can also find out what the going salary of whatever job you are interested in on sites like Glassdoor at various stages of your career. That can help you determine if the degree is worth the return. With a shortlist you can also try to find a part-time job or volunteering related to that job. If you can get some related experience, you might find you really do want to work in that field or that you don't like it at all which might make the decision for you. Lorna Sanders
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Kenny’s Answer

Hi Liam,

I totally get where you're coming from. I was in a similar spot when I was 16, many years ago. Education is important, but it can come in many forms. I work in tech now, but I didn't find my passion for it until I was almost 30. Here's a quick look at my journey, and I hope it helps you.

After high school, I spent two years at a community college. I worked part-time and earned general education credits without going into debt. That was a smart move because I made progress without knowing exactly what I wanted to do.

Then, I transferred to a university and took out big loans. I wanted to be a physical therapist but didn't have a solid plan. I only lasted a semester before financial issues made me drop out. That was a tough lesson.

Over time, I worked in healthcare and then in retail sales at a cell phone company. That's where I discovered my love for tech and sales. I took on different sales roles and learned about tech on my own through courses and certifications. It really helped my career.

I went back to school for a network engineering degree at 33, and my employer covered most of the tuition. I've also earned many tech certifications. Now, I'm just two classes away from graduating, right before I turn 37. It's been a long journey.

I encourage you to explore what interests you and find low-cost or free ways to do it. Try volunteering, observing, watching YouTube, taking free online courses, doing internships, or using AI to learn about different careers. Be careful with student loans; they're not bad, but make sure they support something you want to do long-term.

Wishing you all the best!
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Shah’s Answer

Going to college isn't a waste, but it's important to choose a skill that will help you find a job.
Thank you comment icon Hi Shah, can you share some more details? How can someone go about choosing a skill that will help them find a job? Gurpreet Lally, Admin
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Danielle’s Answer

It's definitely not a scam, but it can be a very pricey commitment, so it is awesome that you (at 16) are questioning whether it is the right choice for you. Spend some time really thinking about what you are interested and what career path you think you might like to pursue. There are some jobs that will require a college or graduate degree (and even AI isn't changing that!). If you do think you want to pursue a career that is in a field that requires a college degree, you may also want to consider going to community college for a few years and get some of the general courses completed there at a much better price point and then transferring to the traditional 4-year university. A lot of schools are now offering opportunities to stay for an additional year and complete your graduate degree as well, which is a great opportunity. A career in the trades is also a really great and financially secure option these days too. Think about what would fit best for you and what you can see yourself doing in the future.
0