What is the difference between majoring in Business and majoring in Business Management?

Asked Sahuarita, Arizona

I’m interested in Business but I want to educate myself on my major options that deal with Business. #business #colleges

Ann’s Answer

Hi Stephanie,

There actually isn't a huge difference. You will touch on all of the same competencies in both, but delve a little deeper in certain competencies depending on the route you choose. With management you will take more courses on leadership and organizational communications and business administration will go a little deeper into the operations side. I have a BS in Management and an MBA, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that route. Depending on what you want to do, it may be more valuable to get your BS in business administration and then minor in communications if you want to get into leadership. I honestly wish I had a deeper background in operations than I do.

Let me know if the answers your question, or if you have more questions. Thanks!

Ann recommends the following next steps:

• Search the jobs you are interested in on onetonline.org and see what skills are needed for those roles. This will help you to determine if you need more knowledge in leadership and communications or if operations will be more important.