Should money determine what college or university you go to? What if you are absolutely in love with a college but you can't afford it?

I'm going to a university I can't afford and I don't know what to do. #money #help # #money-management

Bryan’s Answer

That shouldn't deter you from a certain school. You still have opportunities to qualify for a scholarship, state grant, and also apply for loans to help pay.

Darcy’s Answer

Hi Madison!

I think many people have felt this way at one time. Speaking from personal experience, I attended a school that was too expensive for me, and I regret my decision. I wish that my parents would have steered me away from it, but they left the decision mostly to me. I am 42 years old, and I am still paying about $200 a month back in student loans back, and probably will be for the rest of my working career. If I had the chance to do it over again, I would have chosen to go to a less expensive school for sure!

Many community colleges now have programs where you can start there, and finish up your degree at a four year university that are very economical, but you can still say you got your degree from the larger, more prestigious university, so that my be something you want to look into.

Scholarships are another option to reduce your costs. There are websites dedicated to helping you find scholarships you may be eligible for. Scholarships.com is one you may want to check out, for example to see if there is anything there for you.

There are also calculators out there that will help you determine what your monthly payment would be if you decide to take out loans to attend school. These will help you determine if the financial burden is worth going to the college of your dreams.

Darcy recommends the following next steps:

• Look for scholarships available to you
  • Find a student loan calculator to figure out how much you would owe based on what you borrow