1 answer

I enjoy working with young children, is it better to become a teacher or a ophthalmic nurse for kids?

Asked Mission, Texas

1 answer

Daniela’s Answer

Updated State of Goiás, State of Goiás, Brazil

Hi Kenia,

Many careers involve working with children and not all of them require a degree. Read on to find out how to get into some of the most popular careers with children and hear what these jobs are like from people who are doing them:

How to become a teacher:

Would-be teachers have plenty of choice about the subject and age group they want to teach and where they want to work. You could specialise in one or two subjects that you particularly enjoy as a secondary school teacher, or teach a bit of everything in a primary school. And if you don't want to work in a school at all, how about teaching children who are in hospital or a young offenders' institution?

To become a teacher you need a degree. You can either study for a degree that qualifies you as a teacher straight away, or take any subject and then do a postgraduate teaching qualification afterwards.

Pediatric ophthalmologists are medical doctors who have had 

  • At least 4 years of medical school 
  • One year of medical or surgical internship 
  • At least 3 additional years of residency training in ophthalmology 
  • At least 1 additional year of fellowship training in pediatric ophthalmology 

Children are not just small adults. They cannot always say what is bothering them. They cannot always answer medical questions, and are not always able to be patient and cooperative during a medical examination. Pediatric ophthalmologists know how to examine and treat children in a way that makes them relaxed and cooperative. In addition, pediatric ophthalmologists use equipment specially designed for children. Most pediatric ophthalmologists’ offices are arranged and decorated with children in mind. This includes the examination rooms and waiting rooms, which may have toys, videos, and reading materials for children. This helps create a comfortable and nonthreatening environment for your child. 




Ask a question