Tips for essay writing?

Asked Homestead, Florida

I'm currently a sophomore attending a public virtual school. Though I still have two more years of school, I want to improve my writing skills. How can I make my essays stand out? What do colleges look for in my essays? #school #college #essay #writing

Molly’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

Hi Gabriela,  every college admissions officer may look for something different but I would recommend the following:

1. Start the essay with a personal story about why you want to join the school, why you're interested in the major, or something related to why you are applying.
  2. Detail out the rest of the topics of your essay in the next paragraph (in other words, "Tell them what you're going to tell them").  For example, "There are 3 reasons I am applying for admission to your college - X, Y, and Z".  Then in the next 3 paragraphs you will detail X, Y, and Z.
  3. Conclude the essay revisiting, at a high level, the three reasons you are applying. (In other words, "Tell them what you told them").

Pay very close attention to your wording, your spelling, and your punctuation.  It may seem small, but errors here can make you look unprepared or like you didn't put enough care into the essay. 

I also recommend you have a few friends and/or family members review your essay and provide feedback.  Fresh eyes can do a world of good.