Information security professionals are in high demand, but entering the field can be tricky one. Career aspirants don’t necessarily have to be a tech expert to start pursuing a cyber security career. Getting appropriate certification is an absolute must for pursuing a cyber security career which prove that you have all the knowledge required to do your job well. A lot of prospective employers won’t even consider hiring you if you lack basic certification.
It is advised to focus on IT certifications, and get your hands on old machines and build up Linux installs, practice building networks, and do as much hands-on as you can. This is a great way to start on your path toward a cyber security career, no matter how much or little experience you have with computers.
Here is a certification path for general cyber security professionals:
If you are recently graduated and looking for career in information security then you can enrolled in any of entry level certifications:
- ISC2 Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP)
- GIAC Information Security Fundamentals Certification (GISF)
- CompTIA’s Security+ is an ideal starting point for your cyber security certification path.
If you have already landed in entry level position such as in Security operation centre then you can go for these certifications.
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
- GIAC Security Essentials Certification (GSEC)
- ISC2 Certified Authorization Professional (CAP)
- GIAC Information Security Professional (GISP)
- CWNP Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP)
Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) is an independent information security certification granted by the International Information System Security Certification Consortium, also known as (ISC)². CISSP highly ranked certifications and considered as the top best-paid credentials in IT. In 2008, study came to the conclusion that IT professionals with CISSP tend to have salaries $21,000 higher than IT professionals without such certificates.
Alternatively, you can go for these highly valuable certification:
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM)
- CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP)
This is a great time to start a career in Information security
Information security professionals are among the most demanding in the technology sector. There’s a tremendous amount of opportunity out there, but you have to work hard to get into this career.
Here are few tips which can help career aspirant to land in information security dream job.
- Get information security certifications.
- Go to information security conferences to build Your InfoSec Network
- Learn ‘Soft’ Skills
With recent havoc created by ‘Wannacry’ ransomware global attack, It’s a perfect time to get your start in the sector and set yourself up for lifelong success in a lucrative career.
Dinesh recommends the following next steps: