2 answers

Funding Graduate School

Asked Carrollton, Texas

Is there a financial aid database specifically for individuals attempting to go to graduate school? #graduate-school #financial-aid #scholarship

2 answers

Cristina’s Answer

Updated Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Hi Sahonara,

Like in undergraduate programs, graduate students can also fill out a FAFSA form to see if they qualify for student loans. There are also scholarships available to graduate students; you can check the eligibility requirements on scholarship applications to see if graduate students may apply. Some employers also help to pay for education, including graduate school.

I am in graduate school right now, and I have found it helpful to talk to the financial aid office at my school for more information on what is available, including loans, grants, and scholarships. I also researched scholarships online and applied to ones that I was eligible for. I particularly focused on scholarships that were relevant to my major. For example, as a library school student, I looked at the American Library Association to see what scholarships they offered. There might be an organization like that for your major, which might offer scholarship opportunities like that to you.

A helpful site I have found for graduate financial questions is GoGrad. It has information about scholarships, loans, employer contributions, and alternative ways to pay for school. It might be a good starting place for you to find more information

Cristina recommends the following next steps:

  • Talk to the financial aid offices of schools you are interested in applying to
  • Research scholarships online, as well as professional organizations in your field of study
  • Research the FAFSA form online (https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa)
  • Look at the resources on the GoGrad website (https://www.gograd.org/financial-aid/)

Alexandra’s Answer

Updated Amherst, Massachusetts

Hi Sahonara!

I am in a similar situation right now, as I am completing my graduation applications for a masters program in social work. I have done a good amount of research for ways to fund grad schools because it is very expensive compared to undergrad schools. I've seen research grants can be given if you are in a field that works with science and research. I have seen that working for an organization like AmeriCorps or the PeaceCorps offer funding for education. There is a time requirement to work for them, but if it's something you are interested in, I'd try to reach out for them. Along with government affiliated programs offer tuition reimbursement programs. Depending on your state or country, I'd look into seeing if any positions working for the department of education, or which ever department correlates with your graduate school would be a good option for you. Along with most non-profit organizations offer a plan that after 10 years of making monthly payments they relieve you of what is left of your debt. There are many possible ways to fund graduate school programs, so I would say search the internet and find the best fit for you!

Best of Luck!