2 answers
Asked Viewed 268 times Translate

Can you be a licensed Speech Language Pathologist in multiple states?

I am planning to first get a bachelor degree in either communicative disorders or speech language pathology and then pursue a master's degree in Speech Language Pathology. I understand that there is a requirement to pass state licensing in order to practice in California. I wondered if there's one licensing test where I could be licensed in multiple states. This will allow more options and flexibility to practice in different states. #college-major #college #speech-pathology #higher-education #licensing

+25 Karma if successful
From: You
To: Friend
Subject: Career question for you
100% of 2 Pros

2 answers

Updated Translate

Kortnee’s Answer

Hi Sophia,

From my understanding each state has its own licensing process. You'll need to complete an application, submit required documentation, pay licensing fees, etc.

Best of luck with your personal, professional, and educational endeavors!

Best regards,

Kortnee B.

Kortnee recommends the following next steps:

Meet with a Faculty Advisor in your field to gain more insight into the differences in licensing for some states.

Updated Translate

Tracy’s Answer

Hello Sophia,

According to ASHA website :https://www.asha.org/advocacy/state/info/CA/licensure once students have met the state requirements and licensure they may practice in several states. I would advise that you contact ASHA directly. Good Luck! Tracy

<h1>California Licensing Requirements for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists</h1>

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of speech-language pathology and/or audiology. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that laws, regulations, and policies may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Initial Licensure


  1. Audiology applicants who graduated from an audiology training program after January 1, 2008, must hold a doctorate degree in audiology from an educational institution approved the Board. The Board may accept qualifications it deems to be equivalent to a doctoral degree.
  2. Completion of a 300 hour supervised clinical practice with a wide variety of ages and communication disorders under the direction of an educational institution approved by the Board.
  3. Submit evidence of no less than 12 months of satisfactorily completed supervised professional full-time experience or its part-time equivalent obtained under the direction of an audiology doctoral program.
  4. Passage of a Board-approved examination.

Speech-Language Pathology

  1. Master's degree in speech-language pathology from an educational institution approved by the Board (60 semester units).
  2. Completion of a 300 hour supervised clinical practice with a wide variety of ages and communication disorders under the direction of an educational institution approved by the Board.
  3. Evidence of completion of no less than 36 weeks of supervised professional full-time experience or 72 weeks of professional part-time experience obtained under the supervision of a licensed speech-language pathologist.
  4. Passage of a Board-approved examination.


  • Physicians
  • Licensed hearing aid dealers for hearing testing or the fitting or selling of hearing aids
  • Public school personnel from practicing speech-language pathology or audiology if properly credentialed and such persons do not offer services outside the school setting for monetary compensation
  • Students properly identified as either speech-language pathology or audiology interns or trainees
  • Public or private school audiometrists
  • Federal employees
  • Required professional experience temporary licensee


Holders of the ASHA's Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) satisfy the requirements for licensure. Persons licensed in other states who have worked for one year but who do not possess the ASHA CCC are exempt from the required professional experience requirement however must provide proof of education, clinical practicum, and passage of national exam.

Interim Practice

  • The Board may issue a temporary license for a period of 6 months from date of issuance to a speech-language pathologist or audiologist who holds an unrestricted license from another state or territory of the United States or who holds equivalent qualifications as determined by the Board and has submitted an application to the Board for a license.
  • Persons obtaining the required professional experience for licensure must obtain a temporary license to commence experience.

Continuing Education

  • Speech-language pathologists and non-dispensing audiologists are required to complete 24 clock hours of continuing education per license renewal period (2 years). 
  • Dispensing audiologists are required to complete at least 50% of continuing education hours in topics directly related to hearing aid dispensing.
  • Dual licensees shall complete 16 hours in each discipline for a total of 32 hours per license renewal period.

Board Oversight

Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology and Hearing Aid Dispensers Board


For further information on laws and regulations for speech-language pathologists and audiologist, please visit these websites:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.