Why are IB classes stressful and hard for some students

3

Paul’s Answer

Hi Elijah,

I graduated from high school in 2017 and finished the IB program as well. I personally found the IB program stressful because of all the extra requirements you need to do on top of studying as any other AP student. For example, the CAS program as well as the Extended Essay are both things that an AP student wouldn't need to worry about. Those deadlines truly weigh heavy on the mind especially when you're putting in just as much if not more work studying for your end-of-year IB tests. With that said, each experience is what the student makes of it and since everybody has a different experience of IB - some find IB easier and or others, harder. Hopefully that helps. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Paul

0

Srividya’s Answer

I recently pulled my son out of the IB program and changed him into IGCSE in India (where I think English standards are set pretty high). IB certainly helps students who are self learners, the curriculum is geared for kids who need very less direction for higher grades. Infact, often teachers find it extremely taxing to cater/explain higher order concepts as they themselves struggle with it. Either you should be willing to spend a tonnes of money and not particularly care of grades or be top 1% achiever to make it work. For sincere, dedicated kids who just need the guidance and prefer assessments this certainly isn't the best system. Also, students find it hard to switch to participating in competitive exams and even the brightest of students may not fare quite as well losing the competitive advantage. While the overall experimental learning is a great asset, not many can afford the huge cost for appearing in IB DP.

0

Keeley’s Answer

Hi Elijah,

I did the IB program myself in high school and personally found it difficult. IB courses are demanding, and the the amount of material a student needs to know for IB exams can easily be overwhelming for any student. Every student is different, and all students learn differently. Some students learn faster, while others learn slower. Sometimes, a teachers teaching style isn't suitable for a student's learning style. There are many reasons why, but these factors could attribute to why IB classes are stressful and hard for some students. Best of luck with classes, and hope that helps!

0