What classes am I required to take if I am interested in a career to become a Pediatrician?

Sheila’s Answer

Updated Atlanta, Georgia

Hello Marlene: The previous comment is right on point. I'd like to provide additional info. Medical schools do look for students who have successfully completed pre-medical coursework, which includes math, chemistry, biology and physics. Students are also expected to have coursework in English and social sciences. A degree in biology is a common pathway for aspiring physicians, and some schools offer structured pre-medical programs that are designed to prepare students for medical school.

https://study.com/articles/How_to_Become_a_Pediatric_Doctor_Education_and_Career_Roadmap.html

As a proud Mom of a resident Pediatrician, I suggest that you do a summer intern with a Pediatrician whether it is paid or "volunteer". The experience and knowledge you gain will definitely help you on your medical school application, in addition to the friendships you'll make along the way.

This is a long and expensive journey you are embarking upon. So start early researching the colleges and medical schools you're interested in. The early and extensive research you do the better prepared you'll be.

TIP: Talk to your primary care physician is also a good resource.

Saddle up and get ready for a long ride ahead. I wish you much success on your path.

Best Regards!

~ Sheila

Sheila recommends the following next steps:

• Research study.com site - - https://study.com/articles/How_to_Become_a_Pediatric_Doctor_Education_and_Career_Roadmap.html
  • Reach out to your Primary Care Physician. They'd love to speak with you about the profession. Honestly, they would be flattered that you are asking them questions
  • Check with you Counselor in high school and your Advisor when in college. Make time to meet with them
  • Intern with a Pediatrician whether paid or "volunteer" during a summer. Or, when you both agree to the time frame (ie, spring break, summer, etc.)

Marci’s Answer

Updated Seminole, Florida

Meet with the academic advisor at your school about requirements at your specific school. Generally a solid foundation in the sciences...specifically biology and chemistry. Most importantly, shadow a pediatrician.

Marci recommends the following next steps:

• Meet with your academic advisor
  • Look up requirements for the medical school you are interested in
  • Shadow a local pediatrician