What's the hardest part of your job?

Asked Bel Air, Maryland

Updated San Antonio, Texas

Corey,

I got out of law enforcement before everyone started recording your every word and action. To me, that would be the hardest part today - knowing that everything you say and do may be being recorded. And I don't mean this in the way some people would think. You would think a "good" cop would have nothing to worry about, right? But, where in the past I might give someone a break, if I were to do so today it would probably cost me my job. Underage possession of alcohol? Let them pour it out. A little bit of weed? Dump it. I really don't know how officers today deal with this.

What I found hard was having to arrest people even when I did not want to. I had a guy who had a warrant for nonpayment of child support. But he and the "Ex" were back together. But, the warrant was still good, so, I had to arrest him. Or, a guy on his way to his mom's funeral. He was so distraught he started causing disturbances (nothing major). I found out he was wanted on a parole violation. He missed the funeral.

Law Enforcement also can affect your personal life. You will probably be working nights and weekends when your friends are going out. If you have kids, you might not be able to attend all their games or band performances. Holidays get strange, and you might end up having Thanksgiving on Saturday. or Wednesday. But, you will find a way to make it all work out. You can trade shifts with other officers, and the single people will usually pitch in to let those who are parents take off on Christmas.

All in all, it is a rewarding experience. You learn a lot about people, as well as yourself. Let me know if you have any other questions!