Is it a good choice to go out of state?

I want to go to Denver Colorado when I graduate from High School for college. But, a lot of people are telling me not to because of the cost. I never want to limit myself for money, but I don't want to drop out after the first year because of money. I'm not rich though, I am an average income household.
#college #cost

Roger’s Answer

Hi Anayeli:  I raised two daughters in California. My kids attended college "out of state."  And, their education was about the same price as going to college in California.  Both of my daughters attended Arizona State University in Tempe.     The out of state tuition was higher by going to ASU.  But, all the others costs like transportation, housing, food, etc. was much cheaper in Arizona.    Typically, students who go to a Cal State University need 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 years to graduate. Students at Arizona State typically graduate in 3 1/2 to 4 years so you save a year in extra tuition and housing costs. 

I would research cost as to how much it is to go to school in Texas vs. how much it cost to go to school in Colorado.     You might be surprised.

My daughters did not receive any scholarship money to go to Arizona State University. But, one daughter (uh, the one who was far inferior in her high school academic career compared to my other more accomplished daughter ) did receive $32,000 to go to the  University of Arizona  in Tucson ($8000 a year for 4 years).   She turned down the University of Arizona's  $32,000 and went to ASU in Tempe instead.

Oftentimes, out of state colleges are looking for out of state students to round out their student body. And, these schools provide financial incentives to attract out of state students to their campuses. 

So, cost may not be a big factor going out of state. 

My advice, apply to that college in Denver Colorado and see how much the total cost is compared to the colleges in  Texas.

Hi Anayeli! I am currently a senior at a school that is out of state. Some schools will give you a lot of financial aid regardless of the state (especially private colleges) but others won't. At the end of the day, it's important to weigh what you want and what you think will be the most feasible. You do NOT want to leave college with thousands of dollars in loans, but you also don't want to compromise what you want too much! Ophir Gilad

Kazim’s Answer

Hi Anayeli,

I always tell my kids to go out of town/state for college, it will teach them life lessons. Plus, my personal experience of going to college away from taught me life skills (how to manage friends, money, time, priority....).

Create priority chart based on following list, assigned them points based on what is important to

Major and minor, school cost, school ranking (in your selected major), cost of living, activities around town, housing options. Personally I selected my school based on the major and cost of living, I moved from northern California to Midwest, school ranking was good for my major and cost of living was significantly low compare to San Francisco.

Ultimately it is your decision. Figure out how you can afford and how student debt you want to carry at graduation. In my professional life, my work portfolio carries more weight than the name of school.

Thank you,

Kazim recommends the following next steps:

• Create a priority list

Veronica’s Answer

It's a good idea if you can afford it. You really need explore your options. Also, the climate in your state might different from your hometown.

Veronica recommends the following next steps:

• Research the state where want to attend college.
  • Research how can you afford it.
  • Prepare for the the weather of that state.