What operating system is preferred on college laptop for Computer Science?

Asked El Sobrante, California

Wyatt’s Answer

Hey Jalaal! This is a fantastic question and I'm glad to hear you're thinking ahead like this. From my experience majoring in Computer Science at college, I never saw that there was a preferred operating system in order to complete programming projects. I used a Mac laptop, but saw many students with Windows computers.

However, many software developers in the industry develop on Linux, so we utilized this free tool called Oracle VM Virtualbox to boot up a virtual machine running Linux. Here's a link to the application which runs on all major operating systems: https://www.virtualbox.org/. So in short, no there is no preferred operating system since you can use cool tools like this to use any OS you want or need.

Hope this helps,

Wyatt

Thanks for the reply!

Bhavit’s Answer

As technology moves the cloud, the operating system becomes less important. Having said that, Microsoft Windows and Linux are two popular systems that many of the foundations of most operating systems are based on - Mac OS is Linux based for example.

The university you are looking at will potentially have a standard as well that they can guide you through.

Also don't forget that as more people move to mobile, development in iOS, Android continue to grow as well.

Thanks for the reply!

Sanjay’s Answer

Hi Jalaal!

You can use any operating system for computer science. A popular choice are MacBooks due to their reliability and MacOS running on a UNIX-based environment.

If you already have a PC but would like to use an operating system closer to that of MacOS, an option would also be to install Ubuntu on your windows and use that!

The bottom line is -- any OS works, and it's best to use what you are comfortable with!

Thanks for the reply!

Mohit’s Answer

You can get either Windows or Mac. I prefer Mac because you can install any (well, almost all that you may need) software painlessly.

Also, you can use Linux-like commands on the Mac, which is great to learn.

Mohit recommends the following next steps:

• Learn linux based commands. They are super helpful in computer science industry.
Thanks for the reply!