Im not sure what entails in getting a communications degree/ as a major ?

I want to know more about the careers availible with this degree. I am also a more creative person and want to know if careers with this degree will allow me to be more creative. #college #communication #career-choice #degree #career

Cristina’s Answer

Updated Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Hi Kimberly, I studied Communications as my undergraduate degree. During the degree, I took a pretty broad range of courses, like journalism, professional writing, writing for media, television production, radio production, photography, mass communication, document design, and business/technical communications. You can definitely take these courses and find creative outlets for a communications major.

With a BA in Communications, I was able to get an internship in marketing communications, which then led to a full-time job. I've been working in marketing communications ever since, doing marketing for non-profits and for professional services firms. In different jobs in this career path, I have done website writing, proposal writing, research of prospective clients and competitors, brochure and newsletter writing and design, event planning, proofreading, crisis communications, public relations and press releases, and content management. Those were just my own experiences, but jobs in communications can take on a pretty wide variety of tasks, which might help you find a path that particularly interests you.

Cristina recommends the following next steps:

• Look at the communications programs of some colleges you are interested in to see what courses are required for the major
  • Look at job boards like Indeed.com to see what jobs require a degree in Communications to see if those jobs interest you and what other skills you would need

Tom’s Answer

Updated Seattle, Washington

I applied my communications degree to the field of marketing and advertising. A typical day was hectic. Meeting deadlines, having competing time demands, checking the status of projects, writing ads and copy for publications, meetings, coffee in the AM, and a beer at the end of the day. I enjoyed it for many years. Communications however is a degree you can apply to many fields. Hope that helps. Good luck.

thank you so much tom! truly grateful for your reply! -Kim

Tom’s Answer

Updated Seattle, Washington

I have an undergraduate degree in communications and found that to be very adequate in getting jobs. It is a very adaptable degree, I could apply it to a number of different job opportunities. I just did a national search on the job site indeed.com using 'masters of communications' as a search term and the results were sparse. If you have an undergrad degree in communications you might either explore job potentials with just that, or perhaps consider graduate school in a complimentary field in business, political science, etc. Good luck.

Thank you so much Tom! Would you mind answering another question? What does a day in the life of your communications job look like? Thanks so much! -Kim