What is the best way to become a writer?

Updated Lakeland, Florida

I love to read and write and I wouldn't mind working in a field that involves that such as publishing and editing. But I would like to write my own books or be a writer in a some type of magazine. What would be the best way to get my writing noticed and successful? I would like to major in English literature. #english # #writing #author #books #columnist #literature

Louise’s Answer

Updated Hoboken, New Jersey

To get your readers' attention by

a) Write about what you know and topics that are of great interest to you. You are more likely to deliver a successful book if you're cognizant and passionate about the subjects you choose to write about.

b) be transparent in your writing. In other words, don't beat around the bush; tell it like it is. Be direct, engaging and truthful, giving detailed information to bring in your audience.

Your love for reading and writing is a plus, because being passionate about what you do comes handy.

Best wishes!

Louise recommends the following next steps:

• Strengthen your writing skills, if needed.
  • Start writing; practice makes perfect.

Igal’s Answer

Updated California, California

Hi Paola!

I think it's absolutely great that you're seriously considering writing as a career. I've been a writer for many years now, mostly in the high-tech field as a technical writer. The world of writing has been hugely impacted by the arrival of the Internet and the wide availability of computers and mobile devices.

Your plan to major in English literature seems like a good one. You'll have to do a lot of reading (a very good thing for serious writers to do), and a lot of writing. Writing is a craft as much as an art (or even more so). As craft or art, it requires much practice (write, write, write, then write some more), but also an attentiveness to what good writing is. That second part is where reading a lot, and reading criticism, too, is important. By "criticism" I don't mean put-downs and such, I mean analysis of writing.

Most importantly, since you plan on being a published writer, don't wait for anything to start writing and publishing now (see Next Steps).

Igal recommends the following next steps:

• Read a lot of the type of writing you want to write, and criticism of that writing.
  • Find some like-minded people who are willing to edit your work, in exchange for you editing theirs. Doesn't have to be a writing group, per se, because people can do this over the Internet.
  • Get a free account on Medium (must be 13 or older) or similar blogging site and start putting your writing out there!

Christy’s Answer

Igal's answer is excellent. You might also want to check out wattpad.com, where you can publish stories for free. Wattpad has partnered with Hollywood studios and some of the more successful and popular stories are being developed for TV.

shweta’s Answer

Updated Bengaluru, Karnataka, India

You should find what is your area of interest or what kind of writing make you feel moving forward.

Be real with your writing , you should enjoy what you write then only you can be at your best .