How competitive is the job market as an English teacher in Japan?

22

It has always been my dream to move to Japan and as I am going to college my plan is to live there as an English teacher. #japanese #teaching #english #teacher #education

there i mind you will succeed well because it is a needed Rodolphe A.
22

YOUSSEF’s Answer

1

Teaching English in Japan has always been my dream which I am fighting for. I remember my fist day in college, when the professor asked us where do we want to work, I was the first to answer with "Japan". #teaching #english #teacher #education

1

Wali’s Answer

0

Yes undoubtedly everyone has a burning desire to teach the Japanese people, and I'm also one of them.. I have extreme wish to go and teach in Japan. Because I believe if you teach Japanese people you will get numerous knowledge from them too.

0

Doha’s Answer

0

Well my experience in volunteering had always great part in my head and about doing it in another country will be such an incredible opportunity for my career especially i am that type who feel loved around people, culture and language.

0

Hamza’s Answer

0

To be honest I've never taught in Japan but am sure it would be a rich and a challenging experience for any English teacher.

0

Serene’s Answer

0

As a non-native speaker, native speakers create a high competitive atmosphere in the job market. However, none-native English certified teachers have shown excellent competitors with their high qualifications.

0

GOWRISHANKAR’s Answer

0

It is a tough competition to get a job in Japan. But at the same time competition is interesting, without competition I can't show my ability and hard-work. I'm an English teacher with eight years experience in India.

GOWRISHANKAR recommends the following next steps:

• Education through playing.
  • Educate students with friendly manner.
0

Cuyler’s Answer

0

Hi Cody,

I taught English in Japan for 6 years. It was amazing. First of all, you will need a degree in something, doesn't have to be education related but that is a plus (for visa purposes). I worked both as a private English teacher (very hard to do as the market is saturated in the big cities), for a small language school (depending on where you live, there is usually a small private run language school somewhere around, but they will not sponsor visas!)

I worked for an English Teacher Dispatch Company called Interac, very easy to get the job and the salary was quite comfortable for me, I had no previous teaching experience before joining Interac, they were just happy with me being a native speaker and having a university degree (not related to the field of teaching). I lived and worked in Yokohama, Nagoya, Fujisawa and finally Tokyo. You won't get rich teaching English in Japan. But you will have fun and have some great lifetime experiences.

Cuyler recommends the following next steps:

• First of all, you will need a degree in something, doesn't have to be education related but that is a plus (for visa purposes)
  • Try JET first, they pay better but they do send you to more remote areas. But, it's more prestigious.
  • If JET doesn't work, try an ALT dispatch company like Interac, they will get you over there with visa sponsorship and a job (yearly contracts).
  • Have fun!
0

abas’s Answer

0

by use good and famouse teacher and some teacher that have exprieance

0

fuad’s Answer

0

It is one of my hobby to teach English Abroad, especially in Asian countries.

0

Chian-Han’s Answer

0

A lot of Japanese want to improve their English. Actually, they need more professional English teachers.

0

John Lightnin’s Answer

0

Not sure. Must be competitive because Japanese business men need professional English teachers

and the candidates must be educated.

John Lightnin recommends the following next steps:

• I would use the internet to read simple English books... Children's Books age group around 3rd grade... possibly younger..
0

sharon’s Answer

0

Being a teacher in japan is challenging theres a huge demand they have made English a required subject in their education.

Almost all the Japanese adults take English classes every year.

sharon recommends the following next steps:

• Conversing in the language.
  • Reading.
0

Stacy Yvonne’s Answer

0
Teaching English in Japan is somewhat competitive, but you can always find a position whether it is with an ESL school, a recruiting company, and/or with the JETT Program. If you really have an interest to teach in Japan as well as learn about their culture, then I would suggest start studying Japanese because it will help you find a job quicker as well as assist you in daily life. Also, start looking at online programs and/or schools that have an TEFL or TESOL certificate or even a degree to help you with understanding how to teach non-English speakers. Lastly, I would suggest to look at these websites below to review job posting so you will know what companies/ schools are looking for.
www.gaijinpot.com
www.japanjobs.com

I am currently living in Japan and teaching English to 4 to 6 year old, and my desire to learn Japanese and know the culture started when I was 16, and I have been teaching and interpreting for over 15 years. So if you have a desire to live in Japan, anything is possible as long as you have the desire and motivation to make it happen. Best wishes!
0

Linda’s Answer

0

I would not really use the word "competitive" about many job markets for English Language Teaching (ELT), not even Japan where education is a priority. Usually, a 4-year US/Canadian/UK college degree is enough to be considered for a position. The closer your subject area or experience is to education and/or English the higher your qualifications. I know 2 Japanese Exchange and Teaching (JET) employees now who live and work in very small, northern towns. One employee has a BS in history, knew some Japanese language, and works in an elementary school. The other person has a BS in psychology, no Japanese experience, and is assigned as a teaching assistant in middle school (because actual education training is required for upper grades). After you're satisfied with your Japanese experience, what other countries are you interested in? Many people spend their careers teaching in many different countries!

Personally, I taught in South Korea with my BS in Ed., teaching certification, and 1 year as an undergraduate writing tutor. Later, as an experienced US teacher with ELT certification, I summered in a Slovakian program. Recently, I've worked online with people on 6 continents!

Linda recommends the following next steps:

• Study language - any. Learn how to learn it!
  • Volunteer to work with the public to get as close as possible to "teaching" experience.
  • Meet internationals, get penpals or e-pals, travel, and study abroad! You can go international now!
0

Kuku’s Answer

0

It is no doubt that the world of today is based on competition be it on the aspect of power, politics just to name a few. Referring to the above mentioned, I know that the job market as an English teacher in japan is very competitive but, with the coming of the industrial revolution, they are gradually breaking the language barrier that makes it difficult for individuals from far and near to exchange their holistic perspectives of ethics.

0

Ahlem’s Answer

0

I like to teach a new language to children in foreign schools and to offer my services and all the help they need

0

Darius’s Answer

0

I know it’s competitive, I was an English teacher when I lived in China.

0

abas’s Answer

0

by good and famouse teacher and some teacher that expreance

0

Lana’s Answer

0

I am an English teacher in Hong Kong, but have heard a lot about teaching in Japan. The best way is to explore the "JET Program". It is a government initiative through which they recruit native English speakers and give them a competitive salary and benefits. This kind of program is what I am currently on, only in Hong Kong it is called the "NET Scheme". If this is not an option, finding a teaching job in Japan is not difficult, but it is a good idea to join forums, connect with current JET program participants and find out what suits you best.

0

Marths’s Answer

0

Being an English teacher for more than half a decade has be challenging and satisfying. It has given me a privilege of putting smiles on the faces of students who are struggling with speaking, writing and comprehension.

0

Arjun’s Answer

0

If you are interested to be an English teacher better go for TESOL certification and after that you can get a good job easily in Thailand,Vietnam,South Korea and Japan..they are looking for native speakers..Good wishes

0