How do people advance in the human resource field?

5
5

Gloria’s Answer

0
I believe that human resource roles are like any other roles in a company. You should be passionate about the work that you do. You should have pride in your work enough to learn about how to do your job well and continue to learn about your job as it grows and changes. For example, I am an Instructional Designer with a Masters degree in my field. I got my degree in 2009. My field has changed and the expectations of how I do what I do have changed as technology has changed. It is my responsibility to continue to learn about tools that didn't exist in 2009. I also respect what I do enough to explore new ideas around improving training. Right now, I am in the midst of learning best practices around virtual training during the time of COVID and training cannot stop happening.
0

Michelle’s Answer

0
Kierra,

I agree with other answers that usually HR professionals start out in entry level positions and work their way up. I had a different path to my career in Human Resources. I graduated college with a degree in early childhood education and sociology. After working in the childcare field, I landed a job at my current employer in their onsite childcare center. Along with managing the center I took over both eldercare and wellness benefits and learned as much as I could about what employees needed to balance work and life and what the business could offer. Over time I began to manage many work-life benefits that include childcare, eldercare, education assistance, housing support, wellness, flexible work arrangements, corporate relief funds and much more. I just continued my quest to add benefits that support employees at every life stage.

For now, continue to learn about business, different benefit and compensation programs, recruiting and data analysis. I would also recommend finding a mentor or sponsor that can help guide you through different opportunities. Also, read up on what organizations offer to their employees.

Best of luck!!!!
0

Kendra’s Answer

0

Hi Kierra,

Human Resources can be a tricky field to get into. One way you can distinguish yourself and advance is to really understand business. Not every HR job is in the "business" world, (you might work in non-profit or government as well) however, if you are seeking a corporate HR role, you have to understand how businesses works and how companies make money. I was a business major in undergrad then worked my way into a Recruiter position before returning to graduate school to study HR formally . I was finding it difficult to get that first HR specific role, and my graduate program really helped. I attended a top HR graduate program and was recruited by a Fortune 500 company to participate in a rotational leadership program for 2 years. Afterwards, I was placed in my first "real" HR job :) This really helped me to advance. Hope this helps!

0

Jennifer’s Answer

0

Hi Kierra,

as in any other field, entry level positions such as HR coordinator are usually the first steps we all took when starting a career on the HR field. Look for internship opportunities online or in Job Fairs held by education entities or Job Sites such as LinkedIn, Monster, Glassdoor,etc.

Once you have your first position, try yourself all the different positions on the Hard and Soft skills available and volunteer for cross-jobs projects. The more diverse experience you have, the more versatile you will be for a future great opportunity! All the best!

0

Dawn’s Answer

0

Be open to continual learning. Be open to trying new areas of responsibility even if it takes you outside of your comfort zone. Network, obtain a mentor and volunteer for projects. When they see you as a subject matter expert and willing to raise your hand for things, you can get noticed!

0