I'm not quite sure what you're referring to when you say "automotive career", as it can be very broad. There are jobs available in manufacturing, service, sales, design, etc. Regardless, I'll speak to what my experience was.
I was recruited to work for a major European OEM on a technology service they were operating. During the interview, they wanted to know the following (these can be broadly applied to many jobs in many industries):
- What knowledge does the candidate have of the company, product, or service?
- What kind of career goals does the candidate have, and how will they develop in their role?
- What motivates the candidate?
- What sort of cultural values does the candidate have?
- How will the candidate use their work experience in their current role?
- How does the candidate deal with ambiguity, challenges in their workplace, or conflict?
As I mentioned, these are some examples of questions I was assessed on. The experience I've had is not limited to my experience in the automotive industry; indeed, these are very common questions for most professional roles.