1 answer

What kind certifications would I need for automotive?

Asked El Paso, Texas

1 answer

Sheila’s Answer

Updated Atlanta, Georgia

Hello Luis:

I appreciate your question. I'd like to provide you with the following info that I hope you find helpful.

Certification from the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) is the standard credential for service technicians. Certification demonstrates competence and usually brings higher pay. Many employers require their service technicians to become certified.

ASE Certification is available in nine different automobile specialty areas: automatic transmission/transaxle, brakes, light vehicle diesel engines, electrical/electronic systems, engine performance, engine repair, heating and air-conditioning, manual drive train and axles, and suspension and steering.

To become certified, technicians must have at least 2 years of experience (or relevant schooling and 1 year of experience) and pass an exam. Technicians who achieve certification in all of the foregoing areas (light vehicle diesel engine certification is not required) may earn ASE Master Technician status.

Source: - -> https://www.bls.gov/ooh/installation-maintenance-and-repair/automotive-service-technicians-and-mechanics.htm#tab-4

Source: - -> https://www.ase.com/Tests/ASE-Certification-Tests/Certification-Testing.aspx

Good luck to you on your career journey. I wish you much success!

~ Sheila

Sheila recommends the following next steps:

  • Bookmark US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics: - -> https://www.bls.gov/ooh/installation-maintenance-and-repair/automotive-service-technicians-and-mechanics.htm#tab-4
  • Bookmark Automotive Service Excellence: - - > https://www.bls.gov/ooh/installation-maintenance-and-repair/automotive-service-technicians-and-mechanics.htm#tab-4