How do you organize your time?

Samantha’s Answer

Updated Houston, Texas

Hello Julia,

This is a great question. There are several right answers to this question. I think it is important to find a strategy that meets your needs. I like to make lists that I update daily/weekly. I divide my tasks into four quadrants: important/urgent, important/not urgent, urgent/not important, not urgent/not important. I understand that tasks may move between these quadrants as other problems emerge throughout the day.

Something that has really helped me improved my time management skills is setting timers. I only allow myself a set time for certain tasks. For example, if I need to take a break from working on something I will set a timer so that I know when it is time to get back to work.

Another strategy that I use is setting a timer for 10 minutes each night before I go to bed. I use this ten minutes to prepare myself for the following day. This may include setting out my gym clothes for the morning, backpacking my backpack for work, preparing the coffee pot, ironing my clothes etc.

Please let me know if you thry these and find them helpful!

JT’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

I prioritize similar to the respondents above. I heavily utilize tasks with reminders and calendar placeholders in my email to carve out time based on the nature of the tasks.

Jonathon’s Answer

Hi Julia,

The way that I manage my time is a to do list with dates that I would like to get things done by. This allows for you to see what is getting close needing to be done but also allows for you to see how much you are loading up on work. Some people I know do this on a day to day basis but it really depends on what works for you and adjusting it to find that solution that works you, but there is nothing better than being able to see what you were able to complete in a day when looking back at your to do list.

Anna’s Answer

Updated Chicago, Illinois

I create to do lists, then block my time out on my calendar accordingly. I usually keep all of my work-related to-dos and tasks in a digital way (using outlook and a to do list on my computer) and I keep my personal to-dos and activities in a written day planner. It's easier for me to keep track and segment my time that way! I think it's a good idea to try a few different ways and find what works best for you, because I know that my strategy requires some extra work. :)