How do people advance in this career?

I am looking to get certifies as a nurse assistant, but would like to advance into a higher paying career similar to the same occupation. #nurse #healthcare #career #nursing

Liz’s Answer

Hi Wendolyn,

Congrats on looking into one of the most noble professions around! My mom was a nurse for over 40 years and my daughter is currently enrolled in school to become a phlebotomist. Although this is not my chosen profession I can comment on what they have both shared with me and how they have navigated the process.

A great first step is deciding what position you would like to end up in. For example, if you know you want to be a nurse eventually then you can tailor your education for your end goal. My daughter thinks she wants to be a nurse eventually but is not 100% sure so she decided to start with phlebotomy to see how she liked the medical profession and to be exposed to other roles in the field. She is attending school at a local community college but most major University offer programs around the medical profession (along with local community colleges).

In order to advance within the medical profession it takes a combination of education, practical skills and experience.

From my understanding if you get place in a hospital, large medical group or facility a lot times they offer education assistance to help you progress in your career as well as ensure they have well rounded employees.

I wish you the best of luck and would love to help you in any way I can!

Liz recommends the following next steps:

• Identify possible careers you are interested in (lab tech, nurse, x ray technician, doctor, etc). Then research the education requirements in your state and the timeline to complete. I would always advise to look for grants or subsidies to help assist with the cost of these programs. I know in many states healthcare professionals are in high demand so the state my offer some assistance.