What is the educational preparation that you would recommend for this field ?

1

I am a senior student at Brennan High School. I’m looking into the dermatology field because I struggled with acne and i would like to help people feel confident in their own skin. #college #student #career #dermatologist #medicine #doctor #healthcare #skin

1

Teresa’s Answer

0
Becoming a dermatologist requires an MD. Many recent high school graduates choose to start their higher educational journey at a community college instead of a university. Some of the advantages of a community college are: smaller class size, faculty involvement, ample campus resources, a defined academic advising model to support students to success, highly transferable course work and much lower costs.

The most important aspects for medical school acceptance are academic performance in Math and Science courses. The community college system allows students to truly explore career field educational pathways to help ensure that students really know which track is right for them.

Helping people with skin problems does not automatically mean a person has to become a doctor. Estheticians and other skin care related fields offer an opportunity to help patients improve their skin without all the years of medical school.

I suggest doing your due diligence to research pathways. Palo Alto College has a cosmetology program which might be viable place for you to start. Private, for profit carrer schools also offer these types of programs. Either public or private, you would be required to take a state licensing exam prior to eligibility to practice.

I hope this helps.

All the best,
T
Teresa H.
Certified Advisor

0