What does a day in the life of a corporate lawyer look like?
I am a sophomore at Boston Collegiate Charter School. I am interested in law and how a career in the field would fit into my life. #law #lawyer #corporate #routine
Brittany A. Coleman
Brittany A.’s Answer
You can do the following things on a daily basis if you are a corporate lawyer (either at a firm or at a company as in-house counsel):
Help review, write and make changes to contracts so that people can buy businesses, goods, and services
Research different areas of law like insurance, employment, contract, privacy, etc.
Help one company buy another company
Help two (or more) companies merge into one company
Represent your company at trials, mediations, arbitrations, depositions, and state hearings
Work with other attorneys who represent your company at trials, mediations, arbitrations, depositions and state hearings
*Provide legal advice to your clients (your company, people who work at your company, clients at your firm)
If you are a corporate attorney at a law firm, you may do a lot of work with buying and selling and merging companies (a.k.a. mergers and acquisitions) or with reviewing and negotiating contracts each day depending on your law firm's practice areas. If you work as a corporate attorney at a company you can also do what the firm corporate lawyers do plus the other things I mentioned above depending on what your company wants you to do each day so you may have more work variety working at a company. I have worked at as an in-house attorney so I did different things every day depending on what the company needed me to do. I have not worked at a law firm so I cannot say what they do with 100% certainty but I did want to at least tell you about some common things that my friends have worked on at law firms.
I hope this helps you! Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.
- Consult and handle all corporate legal processes (e.g. intellectual property, mergers & acquisitions, financial/securities offerings, compliance issues, transactions, agreements, lawsuits, patents)
- Develop company policy and position on legal issues
- Research, anticipate and guard company against legal risks
- Guide managers and ensure compliance with rules and regulations
- Structure, draft and review reports and other legal documents
- Represent company in legal proceedings (administrative boards, court trials etc.)
- Draft and administer all contracts
- Negotiate deals and attend company meetings
- Proven comparable law firm experience
- Proven background on corporate law (contract law, tax law, accounting, securities law, bankruptcy, intellectual property rights, licensing, zoning laws)
- Excellent negotiation and communications skills
- Administrative and managerial skills
- Analytical ability and strong attention to detail
- Computer skills
- Current licence to practise law
- BS degree in Law