What was your original career plan and does it correlate now with the position you're in today?

NPower Harlem Student interested in IT for the music industry. #technology #it

3

Steven’s Answer

Hi Christian,

For a bit of context, I'm currently working in the tech industry where I have been for the last 6 years of my career. However my trajectory to where I am today was quite unconventional, as I was on a very different path during my college career. I entered university taking general engineering classes, as well as introductory Computer Science courses. However, since I struggled in these computing courses, I ultimately transitioned into Economics and graduated with a bachelor's degree. After completing a finance-related internship in Medellín, Colombia, I quickly realized that I wanted to transition back into tech/engineering and began self-learning front-end web development. After completing a development bootcamp, and ultimately landed a job in the tech industry and haven't looked back ever since!

In terms of defining what career path you want to take, in addition to continuing to gain insights here on Career Village, I would encourage that you get connected with other people in your target industry so they can share advice and experience from their direct work experience.

I see that you're interested in music/tech, so perhaps one option for you would be to keep an eye on what kinds of events are being hosted by Spotify in your area that you can attend.

0

Carrie’s Answer

Pursue what speaks to you. Figure out your passion and how you want to give back. I graduated with a degree in history and psychology with the intent to go to law school but I had school drain by the time I received my degree. I ended up working at an Insurance Company where I have been for 26 years and love it. I have been provided so many opportunities.

0

Kushal’s Answer

Yes. You are bound to succeed more when you are able to follow the path you have always chosen in first place. My advice is to pursue and so something which excites you day and day out , rather than something your made to do. Sometimes in our carrier we change our plans because a newer exposure leads to newer vision, so you plans do change and nothing harm in that. But need to take a call if that is something which makes you feel happy.

0