What do find most enjoyable about being a nurse practitioner?

4

Sarah’s Answer

I love how versatile the nursing field is. As a nurse, I worked in Ortho then became a Family NP. I now work in an urgent care setting and am working on my Emergency certification in order to obtain a job in an ED. I also recently accepted a Medical Science Liaison position with a small company in order to help translate research into practice. There are honestly endless possibilities in nursing. The only downside of switching settings is you have to learn new skills and new info and sometimes get separate formal education. For example, if I wanted to take a job inside the hospital as an FNP, I would have to go back to school and get my acute care certificate. When I went to nursing school I knew I wanted to do something in healthcare, but was not exactly sure what. I chose nursing because I felt like there were SO MANY career paths. Now that I am in nursing, there are even more career paths I didn't know about such as nurse educator positions in the hospital, nurse researchers, management/healthcare admin, nursing informatics, and more.

0

Many of the NP's that I work with thoroughly appreciate the close relationship that they are able to build with patients. I work at a cancer center. Many of the NP's have more time with the patients than the physicians. The NP's are able to establish relationships that may continue for a decade of treatment.

0

Joelle’s Answer

As a Nurse Practitioner, I find several things enjoyable about my profession. First off, I love caring and educating patients. Its one of my favorite things to do. I love making my patients feel safe and comfortable. Another thing I enjoy about being a Nurse Practitioner is my autonomy. I current work at CVS Minute Clinic, which is a small clinic in CVS where I care for sick and well children and adults. I can assess, diagnose and prescribe without a doctor being present. I also love being a Nurse Practitioner because after 3 years, in New York State, working with a collaborating physician is absolved and I can work as an Independent Practitioner. Lastly, I enjoy being a Nurse Practitioner because my schedule works well for my family. I hope this help! Good luck!

Joelle recommends the following next steps:

Go to Nursing School
Get at least 1-2 years of nursing experience
Go for your Masters in Nursing and become a Nurse Practitioner

0