What careers value a degree in economics?

6

Zoe’s Answer

Hi Michael,

Great question! From my experience and school particularly, most Econ students went into three fields: Accounting/Finance, Consulting, and Investment Banking. If you are interested in a career path that you don't believe your major is well preparing you for, do take the initiative to search for a Minor, take on extra projects to gain experience in that field, or network with people in that field who can give you more insights.

1

Yilin’s Answer

For undergrad, Economic Consulting, consulting, accounting, finance related, and general business since economic is a very wide field.
For Masters, Economic Consulting, data scientists, statistic related, credit rating companies, maybe some public/government offices, basically positions require not only general business knowledge but also some quantitative analytical skills.
For PhD, economist in corporates/banks, think tank, also public sector e.g. UN, Fed Reserve, census bureau etc. hire mostly PhD's since they normally don't have many entry level positions.

0

Edward "EJ"’s Answer

You can really go into anything economic related (think of working as an Analyst at one of the Federal Reserve Banks), Finance related, and Consulting.

I think majoring in Economics will give you a broad range of skills applicable for many career paths.

0

Hi Michael,
One area I haven't seen mentioned is Operations. I studied Economics for undergrad and ended up doing Operations (Marketing) for a technology firm and have loved it! After a few years, I went back to do my MBA for more general business knowledge (finance, accounting, marketing, etc).
I think that having an Economics/Finance degree is more valuable than a Business degree because it's considered more analytical and can open up a lot of opportunities for more "analyst" or "planning" type of roles, if that's something that you think could be interesting for you.
Regards,
Rachel

0

Evan’s Answer

Business Analyst, Financial Analyst, Financial Advisor, Loan Officer, Market Research Analyst are some. When you are going for a career path, it is all about how you market your degree to prospective employers. You have deep analytical and critical thinking knowledge by obtaining an economics degree. You can leverage this degree in a wide range of fields using the skills you have developed during the time you have been in school.

Evan recommends the following next steps:

Find out the type of job you want first. You could do something interpersonal like sales if you like talking to others or you could do an analytical role if that is more what you want.
Saved!

0

Justin’s Answer

Hi Michael!

Many careers value economics! Economics provides a base for all business in the sense that it is a part of our everyday life. One possible outlook is accounting whether it is accounting or tax. Many of the economic concepts and mathematics are transferable to the accounting field.

Best of Luck!

0

Harrison’s Answer

Data analyst, economist, statistician, and preferably, data scientist.

0