What do bioengineers do on a day-by-day basis?

I'm considering going to college for bioengineering, and I am curious as to what the typical workday looks like for those in the field.

#science #bioengineering #engineering #medicine #biology

Eriko S.’s Answer

Your day to day really depends on what your interests are and what you decide to pursue. There are many different career paths you could take with a degree in bioengineering. You could go into research (though this would typically require a graduate degree), you could pursue a career at a biotech company as an engineer, work at a hospital, you could work for government agencies and so on. It's difficult to find out what you want to do when you're just starting out, so I would highly recommend doing internships while in college. Look for opportunities both at Colleges/Universities as well as at a company. If your college doesn't have research labs, there are plenty of summer programs to provide you these opportunities as well. This will give you the exposure you need to better understand your career options and to discover your interests. It will also give you an idea of what skills and knowledge are valued.

As an example, I currently work as a biomedical engineer in the medical device regulatory field. It is a desk job, meaning, I sit in front of the computer to do my day to day work, but I interact with numerous people throughout the day. I work people with various backgrounds: physicists, chemists, biologists, mathematicians, software engineers, and so on and I'm always learning something new. What's important for my current job is having a solid technical background and communication skills.