What does a typical day look like in this field?

I am currently in Long Beach Job Corp, and will be studying automotive. I have a few weeks to see if I am still interested in this field, and if not, I can switch to a different field. I just want to know what a typical day looks like.
#automotive #engineering #career

Serv’s Answer

Hi Jacob, being an engineer in the automotive field can be very rewarding. There two common types of jobs for automotive engineers.

1. Design Engineers - Here you maybe part of a team that designs various parts of a car - it can be from interior or exterior of the car - some part of the engine, transmission. Normally you would using special CAD (computer aided design) software to design a part on the computer, and getting team's feedback, suggestions - it can be very a collaborative experience. You maybe involved in testing the parts you design to make sure it meets all the safety and other requirements. You will also frequently talk to manufacturing engineers, who are responsible for making the parts you design. You will learn about how the part you design fits together with parts other engineers are working on - so normally its a very team oriented job.
  2. Manufacturing Engineers - Here you will be responsible for making some of the parts of a car - You maybe learning and setting up a large machine to make high quality parts in least amount of time - Parts maybe made from plastic, steel, aluminum, etc. How a particular part is made is called 'Process'. So you can choose which part of a car interests you and focus on learning about that process - and become an expert. Ultimately manufacturing engineers are responsible to make sure good quality parts are available to assemble the car on time. I worked as a Process Engineer at Toyota for about 6 years and it was a very rewarding experience.

If this interests you, I suggest you watch some youtube videos on various automotive processes, such as injection molding, painting, sheetmetal stamping, assembly, etc. see if something catches your interest. You can also learn Google Sketch, a free tool to create parts on your computer.. to give you a feel for CAD software - there are also other softwares available for your learning.